ALM Octane Idea Exchange
cancel

Relationship Trace Matrix Report

• Brief Description

Having the ability to produce a Trace Matrix or "Relationship Matrix" Reporting feature within an Octane Workspace would be ideal without having to utilize a OData connection or some other outside method. Having the ability to do this report within a Dashboard widget or similar process would allow users to report on overall relationship coverage, have it be Epic to Feature, or the entire relationship such as Epic, Feature, User Story, Acceptance Criteria, Test Case, Defect (if found).

• Benefits / Value

As the adoption of any new tool takes time, having the ability to provide reports, graphs, flows against your data set is always a good thing for Management and ultimately the end users who are the ones adopting the new tool and or processes. Showing the User base that Octane can report out in a logical way (perhaps like a parent\child\sibling flow) a Trace Matrix that allows you to see overall coverage relationships would be beneficial all the way through the process to insure proper coverage is being applied where needed. NOT having to utilize third party software, or outside data extraction tools to crunch and report the Trace relationships would be best from a single point of interface perspective as well as a managed system aspect.

• Design details

I see this Trace "Relationships" Matrix functionality be best served as a non-Excel based report, perhaps like the way the Relationship tree looks like currently, but just cleaner and more organized for reporting reason. I could see a Widget that does not actually create a visual graph for you, but allows you to Export a file that contains a graphic representation of all the Relationships you configured the widget for. The configuration could include a Graph Type = Relationship Matrix, and a major Scope setting would include the range of what you want to Trace to & from, such as Epic's thru to Test Cases. If there was a way (open source code engine) to export the Relationship Mapping into Visio, static JPG\PNG\etc. or some other respective file type that would be ideal.

The bottom is to just have a mechanism within Octane itself that allows a user to report on Trace\Relationships, and allow that same report to be exported. Obviously this report should be generated and presented to the user in a way conducive to its intentions, mainly graphic, but if it was to be exported into Excel, then it would need to have a visual layout that easily shows a "Parent" row and then all the associate "child" rows under that, and etc.

This report would only need to pull and report on the same data points as the current relationship view shows, Record Type, Record ID#, Record Name\Title, Record Status.

3 Comments
Super Contributor.

Hi

Have you tried the "Group by" functionality under Team backlog? I love this!

Here you can trace tests towards the requirements and hereby see which ones are missing coverage etc. this is just an example - many ways to create different "tracebility kind of views".....but I guess its not a complete overview like you're asking for.

But I'm wondering if what you're asking for wouldn't be complex to view with little amount of data?

br jesperTracebility-rel-req-test.jpg

Micro Focus Frequent Contributor
Status changed to: Waiting for Votes

Thank you for suggesting this, this seems interesting and useful as Octane is all about connecting the dots.
Do you have perhaps an example or a sketch of what this would look like?

Trusted Contributor.

First off I need to establish what it is you will be seeing here. You will be seeing two ID numbers, one from Octane itself, and one that is being embodied into the naming convention of the backlog item so as to capture the ID number from a outside system where those records are actually created. Don't get hung up on the numbering of the Backlog items, just know that I will be referencing the Octane ID number when speaking to things below. Also, you will see that I have utilized the "Test Suite" backlog record type to capture the actual 'Acceptance Criteria" record. I had to do this because Octane does not actually have a backlog item type for "Acceptance Criteria". I have another Idea exchange item for this area as well. I needed to create three fields on the 'NEW' page for Test Suite's, a 'Given', 'When' and 'Then' field so that Users can enter the Acceptance criteria for a User Story, and by doing so have a backlog item to hook Test Cases to for tracking a metric reporting. This approach was the only way I saw the Octane could actually allow to track Acceptance Criteria's.

Ok, now back to the possible solution for better trace Matrix or Relationship illustrations in Octane. I used the exact same graphics from the current 'Relationships" view to stitch together a more complete Relationship story. Now my suggestion would be to display all relationship related to each other (grand parents > parents > children > siblings > etc.) based on where the user is looking at the Relationships. For example, in my image if the User was currently looking at backlog item User Story - 6067, and they went into the Relationships view, then should see everything above that User Story (Epic -3374, Feature - 6062) and everything below it (Test Suite with 12 Test Cases) and either have the Test Case already expanded out or folded up like I have in my image.

Now if a User is looking at backlog item Feature - 6062, then they should see everything above (Epic - 3374) and everything below (User Story - 6067, Test Suites, Test Cases). Now the question comes in as to how\when to show any 'siblings' and that can be either shown as a folded up backlog item or expanded out individually like I show in my image.

The main idea that I am trying to get across here is that User need to see further up and down the relationship tree than what is currently allowed. If the relationship tree getrs too crazy to display then i would expect a collapsed graphic and thus that would reduce the tree size, but allowing the User to expand the tree where ever they need to in order to see what they want.

Octane Possible Trace (Relationships) Diagram.png

Once having the relationship tree better visualized, the User should also be provide a button to export that image or export a report in Excel that depicts this view (or the entire tree at this point). I have include a Image of something that the exported report could loolike as well. As you can see in this report image, it would show where gaps in the relationship Tree are, places where an Epic has a related Feature, and that Feature has related User Stories and some do not, and those User Stories have Acceptance Criteria (Test Suites) and some do not. My Excel image only goes down to the Acceptance Criteria (Test Suites) tier, but the expectation would be that it would continue down all the way to any related Test Cases (MT\GT\etc.) and perhaps even into any related Defect(s).

Epic to AC Trace Example.png