How will you benefit from the RUM 9.40 release? Exploring the new capabilities
Every release of Micro Focus Real User Management (RUM) end user management software is packed with features to deliver a boost to the already existing rich array of features! The RUM 9.40 release is no exception. Here’s a quick recap of the release features.
Monitor more traffic with the same hardware – Multi Probe Instance deployment
Now you can deploy multiple probes on one server. This type of deployment provides the following benefits:
- Enables greater resource utilization by running multiple probes resulting in a reduction of TCO
- Fewer machines are required
- Setup maintenance and power costs are reduced
- Lower network switch port consumption
- Can monitor up to 300 percent more traffic when compared to traditional probes. Note that this number depends on the server hardware, type of traffic, and type of configuration.
The following diagram depicts the difference between traditional probe deployment and multi-instance probe deployment.
Triples the performance
There is a significant improvement made on single probe performance and if we compare it against the previous version of the sizing calculator, the capacity has tripled. So RUM can scale with a larger load on Linux and Windows platforms. This is reflected in the calculator numbers. The following snippet shows the new calculator number for the HTTPS 5 Text Pattern Events and 5 Session Snapshots scenario.
Next Generation User Interface (UI) in RUM Reports
Enhancing usability and simplifying the isolation flow is a core enhancement area for this release. With the latest Angular- based reporting and by adopting UI best practices, this is a major enhancement for EUM reports. The new UI is built with the following rich set of features:
- Application drop down list to provide users with the ability to change applications in the context of a single report as shown in the snippet below (located in top left corner).
- Enhanced filtering capabilities to enable users to focus on necessary sessions as shown in the screenshot below (located in top right corner).
- Enhanced App Infra with a Topology Map to enable visualization of application topology.
- RUM Infrastructure report – A report that unifies a tiered view of your application with a connection based view of your deployment. It helps clearly understand which tiers of your application are impacted and visualize the impacted servers’ connections.
- Added Sessions report – List the sessions that occurred during the selected time interval.
- Added drill down to Session Details report - This report includes Action List, Action Details, Request, Response, and Events. This report enables completing the isolation flow for the selected context in Application Health.
- App Overview Reports - You can switch between RUM and BPM reports with just a click. With the integration of SiteScope data in the dashboard, the App Overview Report provides a comprehensive overview of the app.
Aligned to the CMDB Docker model to enable consolidated status. It not only provides a visual representation of the topology, but also enables you to drill down to isolate the root cause of an issue from the Docker Infrastructure report.
Next Generation User Interface (UI) in RUM Admin
RUM 9.40 supports a new UI which is built using AngularJS technology. The new UI provides rich user experience and is very intuitive. It enables faster downloads and does not require a Java Applet to run. This next generation UI runs on all the current web browsers such as the latest versions of IE, Chrome, and Firefox. Customers can manage RUM applications through the Application Health web UI. Some features of this UI are shown below.
- General settings tab - Enables creating, viewing, updating, and deleting web applications.
- Data Extraction tab - From this tab you can extract parameters. A use case for this is to detect a user name in a cookie.
- Session tab – Enables for configuring session identification, properties, and reset.
- Data Collection tab – Enables configuring data collection, sensitive data, and snapshot properties.
- Supports Open JDK 8: You will benefit from the latest version of JDK 8 which is open source and free of cost. Both the RUM Engine and Probe supports JDK 8. JDK 8 has many bug fixes and is suitable for the RUM Engine’s and Probe’s latest features.
- Browser versions: RUM Next-Gen UI is supported by the latest version of the following browsers. These browsers have rich features and work faster than previous versions.
- Internet Explorer 11.0
- Firefox 52.x ESR
- Google Chrome with the latest available version
- Supports MS Hyper-V 2012 R2: RUM Engine and Probes can be installed on the MS Hyper-V platform now. This provides flexibility while commissioning the systems.
- RUM Engine Database MySQL upgraded to 5.7.16: This version of MySQL is faster than earlier versions. Customers will get the benefit of faster Engine performance. In addition, customers can upgrade to this MySQL version from previous versions.
Support Extended Master Secret SSL Handshaking
SSL (Secure Sockets Layer) is the standard security technology for establishing an encrypted link between a web server and a browser. Extended Master Secret provides an additional security layer for TLS/SSL communications (see https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc7627 for more information). RUM is now able to parse messages encoded with Extended Master Secret.
Monitor Virtual Extensible LAN (VXLAN) Traffic
RUM now supports VXLAN and monitoring overlay network. Virtual Extensible LAN (VXLAN) is an encapsulation mechanism for running an overlay network on existing Layer 3 infrastructure. For more information about VXLAN, see: https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc7348. VXLAN is used by applications hosted in multi-host, virtualized environment which also extends to elastic scale out architectures.
IBM Message Queue (MQ)
RUM supports monitoring applications running on IBM Message Queue (MQ) Ver 8.0. With a configurable message definition, this flexible solution can monitor applications running on a custom implementation of the protocol messages. Message queues provide an asynchronous communications protocol. This capability means that the sender and receiver of the message do not need to interact with the message queue at the same time. Messages placed on the queue are stored until the recipient retrieves them. With sessions reporting, drill down abilities and correlation with session parameters, the offered monitoring capability in RUM is quite comprehensive. The following is a screenshot of a report that uses MQ.
Customizable ISO 8583 Support
ISO 8583 is a standard for financial transactions. RUM has a broad ISO 8583 monitoring support, which is widely used by many global enterprises. With a configurable message definition, this flexible solution has a mechanism to adapt the custom flavor of the protocol and carry out deep analysis providing detailed data about monitored applications for use in End User Management reports. Furthermore, the offered solution has additional configurable correlation abilities.
Instrumentation and Monitoring of Kony Mobile Apps
The Kony AppPlatform is an integrated platform for the next generation of mobile app development. RUM supports the instrumentation and monitoring of the Kony apps on both Android and Apple platform (beta).
Get started with your free trial of Micro Focus Real User Monitoring software here.
- real user monitoring
Praveen is currently working in HPE RUM (Real User Monitor) product as a QA Engineer from last 1+ year. Prior working with RUM Praveen has experience in testing different products in NMC portfolio like NNM, NA and different iSPIs. Apart from the testing experience Praveen is CCNA (Cisco Certified Network Associate) certified and has expertise in Computer network administration, networking devices setup and configurations.
You must be a registered user to add a comment. If you've already registered, sign in. Otherwise, register and sign in.
- Stephann1 on: Micro Focus Application Automation Tools Plugin v5.5 – now available!
- ManivelML on: DevOps drives faster software delivery and consistently high quality
- praveeu on: How will you benefit from the RUM 9.40 release? Exploring the new capabilities
- Wodisch_1 on: APM 9.40 Release is now available