Do you have feedback on our new interface?
Do you have feedback on our new interface? Let us know HERE

Is PMP methodology, still relevant in the Agile application development world?

Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert
2 0 1,853

Is Project and Portfolio Management, according to PMP methodology, still relevant in the Agile application development world?

The simple answer is, YES!

This year, 2019, PMI organization celebrates 50 years of commitment to Project Management. Is this methodology too old that there is no value on application development? Of course, it DOES bring value! It is about learning from other professionals what works and what doesn’t through all these years and leveraging what gives the businesses the best outcomes.

PMP Blog1.JPG

PMI and Agile Alliance collaborated in 2017 and created the Agile Practice Guide, helping professionals transition from a more traditional approach to the Agile approach.

In this blog, I will highlight few key points about why PMP methodology is still relevant to Agile development teams.

Agile is about accelerating the process to deliver applications to market, but still has a lot of similar characteristics of a project. Every spring must be planned (scope management), timed (time management) and shared in between the team (resource management).

The objective of Agile is to deliver a minimum viable product (integration management) and focus on business objectives (stakeholder management).

When considering individual teams, Agile development brings a lower risk to the Business. What happens when the Agile framework is scaled to large enterprises? In scaled agile frameworks (SAFe as an example) – risk management is embedded in various areas of planning and execution. When speaking of large teams and working in complex solution, it may include external vendors to be added in the picture (procurement management).

Executives in the application development struggle to manage investments versus business outcomes, “cost management” and portfolio management knowledge are relevant here.

Leadership (Human Resource management) is one of my favorite area in PMP, where I have learned a lot, through my career. It is not about managing, it about leading people to deliver because they have a passion for it and not because they have to so.

Leadership is about bringing people from various areas with different backgrounds (stakeholders, product managers, team members, system engineers), and enable them to focus and collaborate in the same objective (communication management), which bring success in all aspects of the core objectives.

As we see, nowadays many PMPs are becoming Scrum Masters, Release Train Engineers, and Solution Train Engineers. There is a lot out there that can be used.

I love learning and evolving to deliver the best to others independent of the source. Be open-minded to learn and fly higher.

Speaking of learning, I would like to invite you to the “Project and Portfolio Management” Virtual event where we have many hot topics in how our PPM solution supports Agile Enterprise teams.

Join us to learn more about how we are helping teams to mind the gap, in other words, optimize your value stream!

Project and Portfolio Management” Virtual event

Check also PPM version 9.51 What is new

PMP Blog2.JPG

About the Author
WW Sr Prod Marketing Mgr for Micro Focus Lifecycle and Portfolio Mgmt Certifications: PMP, ITIL Expert, SCRUM master, ISO20000, SAFe SPC and DevOps Areas of Knowledge: IT Strategy, Application Development & IT Operations
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.