All About the Apps
cancel

An exploration into using DevOps for the journey toward digital transformation

An exploration into using DevOps for the journey toward digital transformation

Apps_Guest Absent Member.

DevOps Journey2.PNG

Guest post by Gonzalo Usandizaga, VP & GM, Emerging Markets at Micro Focus

Today, high velocity application development is critical to commercial success. Organizations need to accelerate the pace of innovation without compromising quality. Can the DevOps methodology become the solution for business relevance at a time when value is often measured in hours and minutes vs. months and years? Here’s my personal opinion about this situation.

From my experiences in the field and in speaking with our customers and partners, I can state that DevOps adoption has become mission critical to the Digital Transformation journey. By breaking down functional siloes between development and operations, DevOps is transforming the speed of business as we have shorter development cycles and applications deployed into production faster.

According to a recent Gartner research note, DevOps adoption (and The DevOps methodology, based on communication, collaboration, integration and automation) is in the process of evangelizing into mainstream IT strategies employed by 25 percent of Global 2000 organizations. The question I ask myself though is, “Can DevOps accelerate digital transformation alongside innovation?”

Many organizations still rely on a “waterfall” model of software development—projects flow down from development to testing to quality assurance to integration to production – in very rigid stages. To help make sure repeatable and reliable deployment is achieved with a faster time-to-market, I feel a sound DevOps and operational strategy has become inevitable for the Digital Enterprise.

Balancing agile innovation and quality

So many customers ask me, “How can DevOps accelerate agile innovation?” Consider this, according to Gartner’s report on automated testing, “By 2020, DevOps initiatives will cause 50% of enterprises to implement continuous testing using frameworks and open-source tools.”

In my opinion, a complete transformation in the way we build and deliver applications is required. End-users are the key in the new paradigm of digital world. And customers expect constant innovation with high quality, and are quick to punish application experiences that don’t measure up. You don’t deliver at speed and quality they will find someone who will.  This is why it is so important to test earlier in the application lifecycle, and integrate testing continuously into DevOps.

An additional benefit is that with continuous testing, automated tests don’t stay in silos—developers get immediate feedback on all issues, meaning the teams are fully aware of the state of quality across environments and scenarios.

DevOps as a driver for Innovation

Organizations with clear DevOps strategy are the one leading edge of innovation. A recent Puppet Labs DevOps report I read states that DevOps organizations are deploying updates 30 times more rapidity and have 60 times fewer failures due to code changes. This proves that these organizations are not only agile, but are building better code right from start.

If your organization is in search of business transformation at the speed of innovation, DevOps is truly and positively a driving force! Moving to a simpler, agile and standards-based platform will not only boost productivity and cut IT costs, but will enable you to drive rapid transformation at the speed of innovation.Gonzalo Usandizaga 2.jpg

Gonzalo Usandizaga is the VP & GM, Emerging Markets at Micro Focus. Micro Focus and HPE Software joined to become one of the largest pure-play software companies in the world. Bringing together two leaders in the software industry, Micro Focus is uniquely positioned to help customers maximize existing software investments and embrace innovation in a world of Hybrid IT - from mainframe to mobile to cloud.

About the Author

Apps_Guest