Installing a SmarConnector (Syslog Daemon)
In the Data collection & normalization stage within the Event Lifecycle, ArcSight SmartConnectors are the ArcSight components that receive events generated by devices in the network.
SmartConnectors can perform the following functions:
- Collect events from supported data sources
- Parse events and normalize them into a common schema (CEF)
- Aggregate events to reduce the quantity of events sent to the destination
- Categorize events using a common, human-readable format
- Execute commands on the local host
A Syslog daemon SmartConnector allows you to collect syslog events from devices, using Raw TCP or UDP protocols, and then forwards them to a designated destination.
SmartConnectors can be installed in a variety of operating systems. In the following videos we demonstrate how to install a Syslog Daemon SmartConnector in Linux or Windows environments.
Syslog Daemon SmartConnector Installation - Windows Platform
Syslog Daemon SmartConnector Installation - Linux Platform