Do you have feedback on our new interface?
Do you have feedback on our new interface? Let us know HERE
Highlighted
AndreaM
New Member.

Object Repository Issues Between Environments

Hi,

My team has a website we host that has multiple environments: test, beta, dev, prod. We need to be able to test at will in any of these locations.

However, some objects are breaking because it doesn't recognize the same object on all the servers. for instance, when capturing the Welcome message, it is capturing 'Welcome John Smith'. If in another environment it is thens aying 'Welcome Jane Smith', it won't recognize it.

Any suggestions on how I could possibly get around this issue? I have to keep recapturing certain objects every time I need to run the test automation to keep the tests from breaking. Any suggestions would be helpful.

I have HP 12.53, the tests were all made in 12.00 and modified in 12.02 before I installed this version, this week.

0 Likes
2 Replies
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: Object Repository Issues Between Environments

hi, there

Firstly you can try making those changing properties to use the regular expression. In your case, something like 'Welcome\s[A-Za-z]+\s[A-Za-z]+'.

Also, you can maintain different sor files for different environments and load them during runtime. 

Thanks.

James

0 Likes
GoScriptless1 Honored Contributor.
Honored Contributor.

Re: Object Repository Issues Between Environments

For the specific example, you should remove the property that has the specified text from mandatory list of properties that it checks to identify the object. You can use xpath or title or anything else that will help identifying this object, other than text, since this is dynamic depening upon the user who logs in.

Open OR and change the identification properties. If you dont find anyother property , then you can use regular expression. 

Example: Open OR and select the object that you are referring to. I guess its a webelement, on the right side you will see the properties that is being used to identify this object. If you see any property that has this "welcome..." text. remove that and add someother property that is unique.. it could be title, xpath.. 

Test the OR against different environments. 

Let us know if you have any questions.

GoScriptLESS, Create tests in seconds using UFT View demo and other info at scriplessautomation.com

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.