NOTICE: Branded Content
NOTICE: Certain versions of content (“Material”) accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.
CMS - UCMDB and UD User Discussions
cancel

Duplicate Virtual Machine CIs in UCMDB

Shivshankar Yad Honored Contributor.
Honored Contributor.

Duplicate Virtual Machine CIs in UCMDB

Hello Expert,

We are facing issue with UCMDB discovering dublicate virtual machine CI , All our VM are running on Hyper V cluster, so when the VM move from one physical host to another physical host UCMDB creates a new VM CI with the same VM hostname.

Let us know how to avoid creating dublicate VM CI on UCMDB.

Regards

Shiva

OpenVIew
6 REPLIES
 Super Contributor... dong-xu1  Super Contributor...
 Super Contributor...

Re: Duplicate Virtual Machine CIs in UCMDB

HI

You may check the identification rule of this CIT first. And identify the root cause of these duplication CI.s

The series reconciliation* logs may help you out.

BR
dong-xu

binyamink Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi Shiva.

We are facing the same problem.

To me, it looks like the BIOS UUID attribute of the CI changes. When the next discovery runs, the old CI and the new CI do not reconcile due to this difference, and therefore a duplicate CI is created.

I'd be glad to hear your feedback on this one - can you see the same problem in your environment?

Binyamin Kisch

Professional Application Services, Monitoring Team

Bezeq International, Information Technology

Shivshankar Yad Honored Contributor.
Honored Contributor.

Thanks for your reply, Yes the Bios UUID and the SERIAL NO both are different for the same VM, how can we fix the issue.

OpenVIew
binyamink Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hello Shiva.

I'm not really sure - I don't have a definitive approach myself yet.

I assume it will invovle a bug report for HP.
And maybe an Enrichment Rule + a daily report on duplicate CIs...

Do you have any suggestions?

Binyamin Kisch

Mark_Harper Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Is it two different discovery jobs that is flipping the values? If so you could exclude those VM's from one of the discovery jobs.

Honored Contributor.. Rey_L  Honored Contributor..
 Honored Contributor..

Yes, the most common cause for a duplicate VM to  be created is a change in the VM's identifying attributes used in reconciliation e.g. Bios UUID, Serial Number, Bios Asset Tag, Bios Serial Number, Primary DNS Name, SNMP Sys Name etc

The most common cause is a change in the Bios UUID or Serial Number

Eventually the deprecated duplicate VM will age out. You can accelarete your aging times for the deprectated VM to age out faster. We've developed a process to eliminate the deprecated duplicate VM.  You can use a number of ways to solve this like with a change in reconciliation rules, enrichment(s), population and reconciliation priority if you're using a multi-UCMDB CMS.

I suggest to investigateon what causes the duplicate VM to be created and not merge/reconcile with the existing VM in UCMDB and what operational functions you can do in your UCMDB environment.

Rey Lejano

effectualsystems.com