The community has a new login process
The community single sign-on system has been changed. Learn more about it HERE
Highlighted
desgrac
Visitor.

Create short-cut link, hyperlink or 'alias' for an existing file so it appears in another subfolder?

Hi, I want to create short-cut link, hyperlink or 'alias' for an existing file (HPE Content Manager v9) which located in one sub-folder so that a link of it appears in another subfolder? I don't want it to be 'duplicated' as such, i just want it to have a link so it is easy for other people to access and refer to. 

I have tried using the 'right click-->details--> relate -->alternatively within' functionality and this only appears to duplicate it, rather than providing the link/shortcut.

Any information would be great! thanks in advance

0 Likes
3 Replies
Jamie Smith Trusted Contributor.
Trusted Contributor.

Re: Create short-cut link, hyperlink or 'alias' for an existing file so it appears in another subfol

'Alternatively within' is the way to do it.  This does not duplicate the record; it adds a new relationship between the record and the alternate container, so that you will see it as being contents of multiple containers.

desgrac
Visitor.

Re: Create short-cut link, hyperlink or 'alias' for an existing file so it appears in another subfol

Thanks for your help, Jamie. I had a further follow up question:

If edits are made to this shortcut/linked document, will those edits automatically be saved to the masterfile document? or must any edits be made to the masterfile?

Thanks in advance

0 Likes
Jamie Smith Trusted Contributor.
Trusted Contributor.

Hi Desgrac, If by 'masterfile document' you mean the record that is alternatively contained in one or more containers, then yes - you can access and alter the record via all the links/associations it has in the different containers/folders.  It is the same record but it appears to be in many places at once (like Santa Claus).

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.