NOTICE: Content Manager Community Consolidation
NOTICE: The Content Manager Community has been updated. Many disparate forums were consolidated into one and the community and forum have been updated to a newer, more user friendly "look and feel". Feel free to give us feedback on these changes in the Community Feeback area of our community. We're always looking for feedback to improve your experience..
Content Manager User Discussions
cancel

Question on Titling in HPE Records Manager 8.3

Djas88 Respected Contributor.
Respected Contributor.

Question on Titling in HPE Records Manager 8.3

I have a question on certain built-in properties and what they are used for (intended purpose).

What are the Title, Title (Free text), and Title (structured) used for?

I am working with our organization to help them build a custom web app to interface with an existing HP RM that was built prior to the folks here who manage it.

Right now they do not use Title or Title (Free Text) for anything. The Title (structured) property is used in conjunction with Classification.

They also have an additional field named "Name" which they use as a name for the record. But what I have read in the manuals and SDK it looks like Title should be used for that. This has become an issue as we are trying to search for information in the additonal field "Name" and many searches come back empty even though something exists in the Name field. They also have the box clicked for excluding the "Free Text Title" when creating records.

Not sure what the recommended practice is with HP RM about these items. I would appreciate any insight into how the recommended approach is to inputting data and using those fields.

3 REPLIES
TRIMGuru Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: Question on Titling in HPE Records Manager 8.3

All records in HPRM must have a titling method of either:

a) Free Text (user enters whatever text is desired)

b) Classification (selected from the Classification Table)

c) Thesaurus Term - ISO (selected from the Thesaurus Term Table)

d) Thesaurus Term - Descriptor (selected from the Thesaurus Term Table)

e) Client (selected from the Location Table)

So each record will have a Title as defined above.  

With the exception of the Free Text Title, the selection will be placed into a field called Title (Structured).  

If Free Text Title was selected and/or if the  box was NOT clicked for excluding the "Free Text Title" when creating records, then the text typed in by the user will be placed into a field called Title (Free Text Part).

The data in the field called just Title is automatically "pulled" from the fields of Title (Structured) AND Title (Free Text Part).

Title = Title(Structured)  + Title(Free Text Part)

Djas88 Respected Contributor.
Respected Contributor.

Thanks. That is kind of what I thought.

My other question is what is the preferred way to do it?

Our organization does not use the free text title so when they display the title of the record it is many times all the same since the file plans (classification) associated with it are the same. So two records that are different but have the same file plan appear to look very similiar when looking at the title.

If they used the free text title it could make each record look unique.

For now, they basically added another additonal property to indicate something unique about the record and display that.

Highlighted
TRIMGuru Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

You had mentioned that they made a field called "Name" in order to uniquely "title" each record.  Why not use Title(Free Text Part) instead?

If not, then as you noticed, there basically won't be any differences in the Titles of records that use the same Classification.

Then for the column displays of a record, they can have a column of Title(Free Text Part), and a column of Title(
Structured).  That way they could sort by either the user provided "name" or by the classification title.