Do you have feedback on our new interface?
Do you have feedback on our new interface? Let us know HERE
Highlighted
slesajak Respected Contributor.
Respected Contributor.

Which API/SDK for HP RM Integration

Jump to solution

Hi, 

we would like to integrate our application with HP RM (TRIM) and during our initial research we found out there are several API/SDK which can be used. Our requirements are:
* to support various range of version without recompilation - our customer has HP RM 8.3 but we would like to support 8.x, 9.x, ...
* we would like to upload/download/replace small (~10MB) and big (<=300MB) documents
* we would like to impersonate users
* we would like to connect to HP RM remotely - our client will be running in a semarate host in the same network/domain
* our application is in .NET/C#

My question is which API/SDK would best fit my needs?

There are results & questions from my evaluation:

.NET SDK - it seems that the "SDK" is a thin wrapper around a bunch of native libraries.
* SDK: It's part of the installation, does it mean that I need the same version as my customer has to get it? Do I have to buy it or can I get a trial version of that precise version somewhere? 
* Deployment: Do I need to install precise version of HP RM on the machine where my service runs in order to connect into HP RM server? Is it enough to copy only required native libries to keep it small and easy to deploy? What is required? Could the same binaries be used for all 8.x? Is it "forward" compatible with 9.x?
* Environment: Can my service run on a different computer that HP RM?

ServiceAPI - it seems that it's a rest interface, there is also a thin .NET client
* Deployment: Is the API compatible for all 8.x? Is it "forward" compatible with 9.x?
* Environment: Is it always present in the HP RM, i.e. will every custommer have it without the need to reinstall HP RM?

some "old web service" - looks like a predecessor for the REST API? does it have same capabilities?

anything else?

Thank you very much in advance.
Jakub

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Respected Contributor.

Re: Which API/SDK for HP RM Integration

Jump to solution

We found out that the best backward compatibility can be achieved with .NET SDK. It can be used to remote connection, the only prerequisite is to install HP RM client on the server machive, as far as we know this is pretty common deployment scenario. There is no way how to get the SDK, the only option is to get a trial to the newest version (SDK is part of the installation) or become a partner.

0 Likes
3 Replies
JanMartin Outstanding Contributor.
Outstanding Contributor.

Jump to solution

My question is which API/SDK would best fit my needs?

Is your application a web service? How will you be determining which user your service will impersonate? 

I would suggest using the ServiceAPI, unless you're willing to maintain multiple targets or do some fancy reflection fiddling, supporting multiple versions of the SDK is a pain.

* SDK: It's part of the installation, does it mean that I need the same version as my customer has to get it? Do I have to buy it or can I get a trial version of that precise version somewhere? 

You will need the same major version as your client, so there are different DLLs for 8.1, 8.2, 8.3, 9.0, 9.1 - I believe there is a trial version of HPE CM9 floating around - best to copy the DLLs from your client's install.

* Deployment: Do I need to install precise version of HP RM on the machine where my service runs in order to connect into HP RM server? Is it enough to copy only required native libries to keep it small and easy to deploy? What is required? Could the same binaries be used for all 8.x? Is it "forward" compatible with 9.x?

Depending on what you're doing you don't need to have RM/CM installed, you can instead point to the DLLs using TrimApplicatiom.TrimBinariesLoadPath. There are breaking changes between major versions so the binaries are not compatible. This won't work if you rely on HPE's UI functions.

* Environment: Can my service run on a different computer that HP RM?

Yes, depending on how you develop your app the service account may need particular permissions in CM

* Environment: Is it always present in the HP RM, i.e. will every custommer have it without the need to reinstall HP RM?

Not necessarily, it is an optional install and may not be installed at all sites,  it can be installed after the fact but this isn't always an option...

some "old web service" - looks like a predecessor for the REST API? does it have same capabilities?

I believe this is no longer supported, I wouldn't risk using it now the ServiceAPI is here.

0 Likes
Established Member.. Mark Walton_1
Established Member..

Jump to solution

Hi Jakob,

We've had an application integrated with TRIM/RM/CM since TRIM v6 and we're now working with CM9.1. We've been able to only require to reference three different libraries in all that time - two of the COM exposures (no longer supported) and now one .Net interface. The .Net interface has so far worked fine will all RM/CM versions from 8.2 to 9.1. For versions prior to RM8.2 you will need to use the .Net interface from 8.1, there were some significant chnages to the API that broke the backward compatability at with this release.

What I recommend you do is install and reference the lowest version that you want to support, probably 8.2, and you shuold find that all the later versions will be ok. At least until another compatability-breaking release comes out. :)

cheers, Mark

0 Likes
Respected Contributor.

Jump to solution

We found out that the best backward compatibility can be achieved with .NET SDK. It can be used to remote connection, the only prerequisite is to install HP RM client on the server machive, as far as we know this is pretty common deployment scenario. There is no way how to get the SDK, the only option is to get a trial to the newest version (SDK is part of the installation) or become a partner.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.