cancel

RDS service suddenly stopped working

Highlighted
BoaCola Regular Contributor.
Regular Contributor.

RDS service suddenly stopped working

Hello.

I'm using DP 6.0 on Win 2003.

RDS sevice suddenly stopped working. When i try to start RDS service it gives me error 1067: the process terminated unexpectedly. In debug.log i see this lines:

16.04.2018 7:45:15  VBDA.3028.2612 ["da/bda/win32.c /main/dp56/blr_dp56/dp60_fix/dp60_patch/2":136] A.06.00 bDPWIN_00444
Error in BackupRead! Error number 31

16.04.2018 7:45:15  BSM.3288.2412 ["db/cdb/cdbwrap.c /main/dp56/dp60_fix/dp60_patch/2":1489] A.06.00 bDPWIN_00451
  VELOCIS DB ERROR [1] internal error [-2009] The session is disconnected (S_SESDISCON)

16.04.2018 7:45:15  MMD.3416.1376 ["db/mmdb/mmdbwrap.c /main/dp56/dp60_fix/dp60_patch/1":3028] A.06.00 bDPWIN_00451
  VELOCIS DB ERROR [3] internal error [-2009] The session is disconnected (S_SESDISCON)

How to resolve this issue?

13 REPLIES
Regular Contributor.

Re: RDS service suddenly stopped working

Also when i'm trying to do omnidbcheck i get this meesage: [12:1166] Velocis daemon error - the daemon is probably not running.

And in Ob2EventLog.txt i found this message:

OMNIDBCHECK DbCorrupted "[138:706] Corruption in the "Catalog Database" part of the Data Protector Internal Database has been detected ("[12:10900] Detail Catalog Database Internal Error.")."

Sebastian.Koehler Acclaimed Contributor..
Acclaimed Contributor..

Hi BobCola,

Seem the IDB has been corrupted. I hope you have a recent backup of your IDB ready. Was there any planned maintenance or crash on the Cell Manager?

Regards,
Sebastian Koehler

---
Please assign a KUDO to this post, if you find it useful.
Regular Contributor.

As i understood message with DB corruption was because rds service wasn't running, so rds was the main reason of my issue.

Based on this posts:

https://community.softwaregrp.com/t5/Data-Protector-Practitioners/RDS-service-could-not-start/td-p/285919

https://oracleblog.org/working-case/can-not-run-dp-rds-services/

i stopped DP services, copied folder C:\Program Files\OmniBack\db40\logfiles\syslog and delete all files from original folder, renamed file C:\Program Files\OmniBack\db40\datafiles\catalog\rdm.chi and started DP services.

After that rds service is starting normal.

Micro Focus Expert THE_DP_GURU
Micro Focus Expert

Good to hear that you were able to get RDS to start.  It would probably be a good idea to run an omnidbcheck to ensure that the database is healthy.

Regular Contributor.

I did omnidbcheck -extended:

Check Level             Mode            Status
==================================================
Core                    -core           Corrupted: 14 critical errors detected
Filenames               -filenames      Corrupted: 14 major errors detected
DCBF(presence and size) -bf             Corrupted: 154 major errors detected
SIBF(readability)       -sibf           OK
OMNIDC(consistency)     -dc             Corrupted: 154 major errors detected
DONE!

What should i do now?

Regular Contributor.

Any help?

Micro Focus Expert Mike Boucher
Micro Focus Expert

The database has unrecoverable CORE corruption. You will need to recover the ID from backup. Keep a copy of the media.log (ProgramData\Omniback\log)  which contains the reference to the latest IDB backup, then uninstall DP and clean up the old  directories, reintall DP, reconfigure the device with the tape for the IDB backup, import this tape and then do a recovery. If necessary, check online help in the GUI for all the steps to recover the IDB from tape..  

Regular Contributor.

The problem is there is no any backup of IDB, as it turned out. Backup wasn't configured. In this case i cant't do anything?

What problem may arise if i continue to use corrupted DB?

Micro Focus Expert

is the RDS going down occasionally or is it remaining down?

if the RDS remains down you can't use the product.

if RDS is only occasionally failing then when it is up and running you can try to do a writedb

Omnidbutil -writedb <location>, then a readdb and see if the issue is gone. The CORE corruption leads me to belive you have

a major corruption that will not be resolved easily

Regular Contributor.

RDS is up and running.

Omnidbutil -writedb and then readdb is kind of recreating DB? And corrupted records won't be present in recreated DB (if it will be successful)?

Micro Focus Expert

yes, the writedb/readdb process would rebuild the IDB indexes and reimport the data and ignore any corrupted data.  It should clear corruption in most cases.  should it clear out the corruption run an IDB backup asap.

Regular Contributor.

And what does corrupted records means? If i will try to recover some files and information about them is stored in corrupted area then i won't be be able to see/find this files in "Restore" dialog, right?

So if i will do writedb/readdb i wouldn't lose informnation from corrupted areas because it's already lost?

And only importing to catalog operation will help me to update information about those lost files?

Micro Focus Expert

Your correct, the information is already "lost" due to corruption. the only way to get back missing information would be to import the media with the sessions.