Data Protector Practitioners Forum
cancel

Restoring a file to different live hp dataprotector system

tRx
Absent Member.

Restoring a file to different live hp dataprotector system

Hello All!

I have searched on forum but not found any answer related with my question. Question is:

There is two site(We can say Site A and Site B) where use same HP Dataprotector backup sofware and same HP Library Hardware.  But each site(Site A and Site B) is live production and and each site have different IDB and different servers to backup. 

Is there anyway or how can we restore SITE A backup to SITE B? 

For example: 

Site A a Sql Database file backup tape can restore to Site B any server ?

Thanks in advance to answers

3 REPLIES
rgb99
Honored Contributor.

Re: Restoring a file to different live hp dataprotector system

I think you can but that client will need to be a part of the cell manager. If ServerA belongs to SiteA, and you want to restore it to SiteB, you will need another client to restore to. If ServerB belongs to SiteB, you'll need to export it from SiteB cell and import it to SiteA. Then, you can restore ServerA contents to ServerB using the SiteA cell manager. You follow?

Someone correct me if I am wrong, please.
drpixel
Outstanding Contributor.

Hello,

If we do not take in account the online integration (SQL, ...).

The only way to perform a cross site restore, is to :

1/Copy the catalog to a file, move that file to the other Cell Manager, then import it  (or import the medium to the other site)

2/Have the medium at the second site :-)

3/Restore to another client.

For the online integration, you may need to have a client with the same integration (it depend of the integration), then you should be able to do it.

Regards,

Christophe
tRx
Absent Member.

Thank you so much for replies and ideas!

I just wonder about is there any way other than copy catalog file (IDB) to other site. Any option to just have the medium that includes latest db backup, than restore it to the other site witout any requirement for describe the medium to the other site catalog system(IDB) to restore db. Like run a restore job from sql with a query  with the medium label id etc. ?