cancel

Backup fails due to "Cannot append to medium error"

Highlighted
Umashankar Vait
Absent Member.

Backup fails due to "Cannot append to medium error"

Hi,

I can see backups fails due to "Cannot Append to medium (medium error)"

Major] From: BMA@sasng091.apac.gep.ge.com "sg-vtl101-d15" Time: 11/02/10 00:04:12
[90:65] Tape19:0:1:15C
Cannot append to medium (Medium error.)

[Critical] From: VBDA@sasng155v.apac.gep.ge.com "sasng155v.apac.gep.ge.com [/CONFIGURATION]" Time: 11/02/10 00:04:31
Received ABORT request from SM => aborting.

[Critical] From: VBDA@sasng155v.apac.gep.ge.com "sasng155v.apac.gep.ge.com [/E]" Time: 11/02/10 00:05:45

[Critical] From: VBDA@sasng155v.apac.gep.ge.com "sasng155v.apac.gep.ge.com [/C]" Time: 11/02/10 00:07:40

[Critical] From: BSM@uasng039.gep.ge.com "sasng155v" Time: 11/02/10 00:07:40
None of the Disk Agents completed successfully.
Session has failed.

the backups are not failing frequently but happens once in a week, sometimes we can see continuosly. i am resetting the poor tapes before backup starts.

Clients which failed today are not failing the next day but i can see some other new clients failing.

I need assistance, please post your suggestions.

Regards,
Umashankar Vaithyanathan.
1 REPLY
Scott McIntosh_
Absent Member.

Re: Backup fails due to "Cannot append to medium error"

Cannot append to medium. So likely the seek operation forward 1M filemarks failed to result in placement at EOD, or EOD itself didn't exist due to a problem in the prior usage of the tape. Or had one case where the read of a filemark was not being reported by the OS correctly, so was being flagged as an error rather than "read filemark".

If you can redo this backup to that same medium (was it marked poor; you'll need to reset it to good) and then it appends fine, the problem would appear to be a runtime issue with the drive communication rather than an actual issue on the medium.

Thanks,
Scott
Top Contributors Last 30 Days