Changes to the community structure and the menu bar
Significant changes have happened to the structure of our community and our drop down menu bar. READ ABOUT IT HERE
Data Protector User Discussions
cancel

CSV file system backup in Data Protector (9.09)

SOLVED
Go to solution
Highlighted
noBADy  Regular Contributor..
 Regular Contributor..

CSV file system backup in Data Protector (9.09)

Hi,

I'd like to perform file system backup of CSV disk in Failover Cluster environment (Windows Server 2012 R2), but I am not able to browse the structure in CSV disk, when defining the job in Data Protector UI. CSV disk is represented by a file and I am not able to browse the directory structure in it.

Thank you for your assistance.

Best regards,

Branislav

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Sebastian.Koehler Acclaimed Contributor..
Acclaimed Contributor..
Solution

Re: CSV file system backup in Data Protector (9.09)

Hi @noBADy,

I did some research and found this as a known limitation. You can vote in the Idea Exchange to get it supported soon.

Disk Agent backup of CSV on Scale-Out File Server
https://community.softwaregrp.com/t5/Data-Protection-Idea-Exchange/Disk-Agent-backup-of-CSV-on-Scale-Out-File-Server/idi-p/1648603

Regards,
Sebastian Koehler

---
Please assign a KUDO to this post, if you find it useful.
6 REPLIES
Acclaimed Contributor..

Hi @noBADy,

What is the use case for backing up a CSV directly? Is it used for HyperV or a scale-out NAS?

Regards,
Sebastian Koehler

---
 Regular Contributor..

Hi,

I'd like to use it as a destination for Oracle online backups of Oracle databases (aka FRA) running in Windows Failover Cluster. So from the perspective of Data Protector, I'd like to use it as a normal file system.

Thank you for your assistance.

Best regards,

Branislav

Acclaimed Contributor..

Hi @noBADy,

In this case you should not configure the disk as a CSV. As far as I know CSVs are only supported for HyperV and scale-out NAS in Windows 2012 R2. Configure it as a regular disk and you should not have any issues. In this configuration a virtual server (Role) owns the disk.

Remember to perform a cluster-aware installation locally from each cluster node. This is mandatory one time operation to make the cluster Roles available for backup in Data Protector.

Regards,
Sebastian Koehler

---
 Regular Contributor..

Hi Sebastian ,

I'm aware of fact, that in configuration with regular disk, everything will work without any issues (I'm using this configuration). I just wanted to use the advantage of CSV disk (accessibility from all nodes of cluster) without the need to create a special Cluster Role to handle it.

However, thank you for your feedback. Usage of CSV disk by this way is probably not possible.

Best regards,

Branislav

Acclaimed Contributor..
Solution

Hi @noBADy,

I did some research and found this as a known limitation. You can vote in the Idea Exchange to get it supported soon.

Disk Agent backup of CSV on Scale-Out File Server
https://community.softwaregrp.com/t5/Data-Protection-Idea-Exchange/Disk-Agent-backup-of-CSV-on-Scale-Out-File-Server/idi-p/1648603

Regards,
Sebastian Koehler

---
 Regular Contributor..

Hi Sebastian,

definitely thank you for your feedback and assistance.

I have just voted for your idea...

Best regards,

Branislav