Data Protector User Discussions
cancel

Cannot load exchanger medium (System error)

Highlighted
Silva Trusted Contributor.
Trusted Contributor.

Hi all,

I am using 9.09 DP and Linux on the CM. Last few weeks ago til now I meet the error below,. Sometimes I have changed the medium and backup back to work normally, but not all the times it's success with this way. Does this error come from hardware issue?

[Major] From: BMA@backupserver "HP:Ultrium 5-SCSI_2_backupserver" Time: 5/31/2018 12:02:13 AM
[90:63]
=> UMA@backupserver@/dev/sg4

[Normal] From: BMA@backupserver "HP:Ultrium 5-SCSI_2_backupserver" Time: 5/31/2018 12:02:13 AM
ABORTED Media Agent "HP:Ultrium 5-SCSI_2_backupserver"

[Major] From: BSM@backupserver "DC-QS-ERP-ONLINE" Time: 5/31/2018 12:02:13 AM
Backup device unavailable. Trying to promote any pending mirror to original.

2 REPLIES
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: Cannot load exchanger medium (System error)

Hi Silva,

Besides "System error" you're not seeing anything more specific?

I would suggest to generate debugs of this and open a support case. The UMA debugs should tell us what exactly is failing here.

I would also try to run uma standalone and check whether the same move operation is working or not.

Koen

Knowledge Partner Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: Cannot load exchanger medium (System error)

Hi @Silva,

I had similar issues years ago. It was on a MSL4048 where the changer device was not responding after loading/unloading media into/from the tape library.

It turned out that the front panel of the MSL4048 blocked the changer device. If you have a MSL G3 aka MSL2024/4048/8096 you should upgrade to the latest firmware and make sure to close all menus on the front panel when finished.

Regards,
Sebastian Koehler

---
Please assign a KUDO to this post, if you find it useful.