NOTICE: Branded Content
NOTICE: Certain versions of content (“Material”) accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.
Data Protector User Discussions
cancel

DP 9 - HPDP-IDB service will not start

Shaike Absent Member.
Absent Member.

DP 9 - HPDP-IDB service will not start

Hello,

I have DP 9.0.5 newely installed on Windows Server 2008 R2 and after installation the HPDP-IDB service does not start whether it runs as Local System or a specific domain user, Windows says the service started and then stopped, etc. - Any suggestions?

Thank you!

8 REPLIES
svollrat Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: DP 9 - HPDP-IDB service will not start

Any further Messages/Errors in Eventlog or DP-Logfolders?

Micro Focus Expert markovdi  Micro Focus Expert
 Micro Focus Expert

Hi Shaike,

it could be user permissions problem, or problem during the installation. Best course of action would be to open a support case for this problem.

best regards,

Dimitar

Shaike Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I haven't found any relevant events is Windows event log, where should I check the DP log folders?

(I'm not very experienced in DP troubleshooting)

Thanks

svollrat Absent Member.
Absent Member.

In DefaultPath it would be C:\ProgramData\OmniBack\log

Make sure you executed the Installation with an User in the local admin-Group and ran Setup with "run as admin". Also IDB-Users should have the same privilleges.

Shaike Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Should the HPDP-IDB service run under a local admin user instead of Local System?

What do you mean by IDB-Users? if all the CM users are in the Admin group in the CM that should be okay, I guess.

svollrat Absent Member.
Absent Member.

During the Installation you had to specify a User for IDB and ApplicationServer Services, those Users need to have sufficient privilleges and the Services need to be started with those Accounts.

Also make sure your Server and Users meet the Prerequisites mentioned in Install Guide, f.E. the User-Permissions, available Ports, ReverseLookup and so on.

Stewart_Macleod Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Micro Focus Contributor flabriki1
Micro Focus Contributor

Hi,

- check  the pg log file. It’s located under : “C:\ProgramData\OmniBack\server\db80\pg\pg_log” directory (unless this is not standard DP installation)
- try starting hpdp-idb manually form - command line interface   using the following procedure (and see whay erro you get):
    a- goto services and see which account is configured to start the “hpdp-idb” service (in my case it’ Administrator)
    b- log on to the cell manager with the same user found in step a and opena  dos command.
    c- in the dos command interface opened in step  b, launch the following command and tell me what error you get:
                  "C:\Program Files\OmniBack\idb\bin\pg_ctl.exe" start -U "hpdp-idb" -D "C:\ProgramData\OmniBack\server\db80\pg"
         Please provide the new pg log file created under “C:\ProgramData\OmniBack\server\db80\pg\pg_log” directory
   d- if the previous command started the postgres server (you can see a process in taskmanager) then please stop it using the following command:
                    "C:\Program Files\OmniBack\idb\bin\pg_ctl.exe" stop -U "hpdp-idb" -D "C:\ProgramData\OmniBack\server\db80\pg"

I am assuming here DP installed in default location under c: drive

Fouad