Data Protector User Discussions
cancel

DP9 restore from LTO3 to LTO6 (Windows and Linux VM)

SOLVED
Go to solution
Highlighted
Janek Contributor.
Contributor.

DP9 restore from LTO3 to LTO6 (Windows and Linux VM)

Hello everyone,

I have a question. Is it possible to copy media tapes with backups from LTO3 to LTO6? Or only LTO3->LTO3 ? I read you cannot but maybe there is a workaround. Maybe someone can link me a guide to this.

We have 2x MSL2048 (one with LTO3 drive and one with LTO6 drive) and we want to uninstall the LTO3 MSL.

Best regards
Janek

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Victor_F_DP  Super Contributor..
 Super Contributor..
Solution

Re: DP9 restore from LTO3 to LTO6 (Windows and Linux VM)

Okay, I understand the situation. 
In this case the best option is to keep the LTO3 or get an LTO drive that can read these tapes. 

I hope this information helps you. 

If you want you can mark the question as solved if you get all your doubts cleared. 

Regards, 

Andres Fallas Salazar
Customer Support Engineer

If you find that this or any other post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.
If you are satisfied with anyone’s response please remember to give them a KUDOS by clicking on the STAR at the bottom left of the post and show your appreciation.
5 REPLIES
 Super Contributor..

Hello Janek, 

The LTO drive can read two older versions of LTO tapes. For example, the LTO  can read LTO4, LTO5, and LTO6. This is normal behavior as design. 

Please see this slide: 

slide1.jpghttps://aussiestorageblog.files.wordpress.com/2012/05/slide1.jpg 

Unfortunately, you will need an LTO 5 drive, at lees, to read you LTO 3 tapes and make the copy. 

Regards, 

Andres Fallas Salazar

If you find that this or any other post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.
If you are satisfied with anyone’s response please remember to give them a KUDOS by clicking on the STAR at the bottom left of the post and show your appreciation.
Janek Contributor.
Contributor.

Hello Andres

ok so its not limited by DP (I already knew it with these behavior).

My initial problem was that I would like to copy our old LTO3 Tapes to LTO6.
The LTO3 tapes were created with DP for Linux (Windows and Linux VMs) and now were on Veeam so my thoughts where that I could easily move those backups to an windows share to backup it with Veeam so we only had one Backupsoftware left with LTO6 tapes but this seems very difficult because some Linux VMs (filesystem) could not be restored. Maybe because of that W2K8 R2 Filesystem.

I think I abort this

Super Contributor..
Solution

Okay, I understand the situation. 
In this case the best option is to keep the LTO3 or get an LTO drive that can read these tapes. 

I hope this information helps you. 

If you want you can mark the question as solved if you get all your doubts cleared. 

Regards, 

Andres Fallas Salazar

Janek Contributor.
Contributor.

Hello Andres,

thanks for your support.

best regards

Janek

Contributor... HP_Chris Contributor...
Contributor...

Hello Janek,

Please keep in mind that object copy functionality enables one to copy objects regardless of underlying physical media type.  This is how copy from file device to tape is possible.  The same is true with different physical tape types.  You can object copy from DDS-3 tape to a DLT or LTO tape.

If you would like to copy objects from LTO3 tapes to LTO6 tapes, this is possible with object copy.  However, due to limitations with the tape hardware this requires you keep a read-compatible LTO-3 device to act as the copy source and an LTO6 write compatible drive for the destination.

Best regards,
Chris

Top Contributors Last 30 Days