Do you have feedback on our new interface?
Do you have feedback on our new interface? Let us know HERE
Highlighted
stonefeather Valued Contributor.
Valued Contributor.

Data Protector back up folder structures only!

Data Protector 9 back up folder structures completely (error-free), but all folders are empty. Any thought? Please kindly help. Permission is not a problem.  Thanks.

0 Likes
4 Replies
Knowledge Partner Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: Data Protector back up folder structures only!

Hi @stonefeather,

I think you mean empty folders in the Restore context. This happens if the log level during backup is Log directories. This means you can only select folders for restore, not individual files. The files are backed up and will be restored if you select and restore a folder.

You should always use Log all to be able to select individual files for restore and have them in the index for search.

Regards,
Sebastian Koehler

---
Please assign a KUDO to this post, if you find it useful.
Trusted Contributor.. DiAc Trusted Contributor..
Trusted Contributor..

Hello stonefeather!
I have had the same behavior as you describe a few times. I ran a conventional incremental backup of a Windows Server based fileserver.
And only the empty folder structure of a new inserted subfolder ( about 50 GB ) with many, many sub-sub folder was backed up.

The MicroFocus Support sent me the following excerpts from the DP 9 Concept Guide:

• Conventional Incremental Backup
Before running an incremental backup of a backup object, Data Protector compares the trees in the backup object with the trees in the valid restore chain of this object. If the trees do not match (for example, an additional directory in the backup object was selected for backup since the last backup or multiple backup specifications with the same backup object and different trees exist), a full backup is automatically performed. This ensures that all the selected files are included in the backup.
Detection of changes
With conventional incremental backup, the main criterion for determining whether a file has changed or not since a previous backup is the file's modification time. However, there are cases where this criterion is not effective. For example, if a file has been renamed, moved to a new location, or if some of its attributes have changed, its modification time does not change. Consequently, the file is not always backed up in an incremental backup. Such files are backed up in the next full backup. Whether a file with a changed name, location, or attributes is backed up in an incremental backup or not also depends on the setting of the following options in the backup specification. The preferred setting improves detection of changes.
Windows systems: Do not use archive attribute By default this option is not selected (archive attribute is used). This is the preferred setting.

The advice from Support was to use the Enhanced Incremental Backup.

I hope this helps a little.

Regards, Dirk

Valued Contributor.

Hi Sebastian,

Yes, from the backup message,  I see something being picked up (a fair amount of data of "Mbytes Total" being reported) in the end. But when I try to restore files, I see only folders (and subfolders). The backup Logging is on "Log All". The job is incremental backup. These files are recently copied there after a backup backup had been excecuted. And the time stamp with these files are newer than the full backup time. 

Many thanks,

Eagle Huang

0 Likes
Valued Contributor.

Thank you Dirk.

Yes, I was using conventional incremental to backup Windows file system. I ran a full backup first, then copied these folders/files under the same tree. It is a big tree (paths are long to the leafs).  The time stamp of these add-on files are newer than the full backup time. But I doubt that is the problem because they were move onto this client just recently, and I believe DP would take them as "new" files no matter whatever their time stamp says. Correct me if I am wrong. Also, I will take your advice of using "Enhenced  incremental backup".

Cheers,

Eagle

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.