Data Protector User Discussions
cancel

It takes too long to back up Exchange 2010.

Highlighted
eijer Contributor.
Contributor.

It takes too long to back up Exchange 2010.

When DP 9 version and Exchange 2010 environment were configured to back up Exchange edb, it ended in about seven hours. However, the next takes more than 30 hours. One particular thing is that traffic occurs over Ethernet, not through the SAN. The total capacity to be backed up is about seven terabytes. Full backups are held every Saturday.

If you are configuring backups and operating seamlessly in an Exchange 2010 environment, I would like to ask for feedback. Which part should I look at? If possible, please provide technical views or methods on both Exchange and DP.

Thanx

6 REPLIES
Knowledge Partner Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: It takes too long to back up Exchange 2010.

Hi @eijer,

Do both backups (the 7 and the 30 hour) store the same amount of data or is there a significant difference? I would start comparing session reports and backed up data. Especially for Exchange 2010 backups I would look a the log file processing/check phase during backup start. This can take forever,. especially on old versions of Data Protector 9.x.

Regards,
Sebastian Koehler

---
Please assign a KUDO to this post, if you find it useful.
eijer Contributor.
Contributor.

No. There was just approximately 40gb difference. As far as I have just heard of it is A.08.10 Build 208 not 9.x DP

eijer Contributor.
Contributor.

Hi @Sebastian.Koehler

Outstanding Contributor.. Jenni_S Outstanding Contributor..
Outstanding Contributor..

Hi Eijer,

Please can you post the backup session messages for both of the sessions - are you using DP to run a consistency check on the log files? This can make the duration vary a lot of the number of logs is much higher in the 2nd session.

What we need to identify is the duration for each of the objects as well as the log consistency check. Usually when there is a big difference in completion times the log check is to blame for that.

When you look at the completed backup session in the IDB and view the objects in the right-hand pane you can also scroll along to the end and there will be a column titled # Objects - check this column for the log objects and see if there is a big discrepancy in # of files between the 2 sessions.

regards,
jenni

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If my post was useful, please click on KUDOS!
eijer Contributor.
Contributor.

@Jenni_S

Thanx for your helps and consideration.

Please refer to attached text file.

Outstanding Contributor.. Jenni_S Outstanding Contributor..
Outstanding Contributor..

Hi @eijer,

So you only uploaded one of the requested session messages (meaning I have nothing to compare) but I suspect that you issue is actually with the config of the backup / you are not always using end-to-end FC to write to tape.

Your log consistency check is fast, it is just over 5 mins between backups start and start of data write to tape. 

Your longest running databases are as follows:

### EXCHMBX35-MailDB01 
exchmbx36.domain.com:/Microsoft Exchange Replica Writer(Exchange Replication Service)/Microsoft Information Store/2b570428-9864-4932-a2b7-31a498f46fce/File "MSVSSW-APP"
Run Time ........... 23:21:09
Backup Speed ....... 3.99 MB/s

### EXCHMBX35-MailDB03
exchmbx36.domain.com:/Microsoft Exchange Replica Writer(Exchange Replication Service)/Microsoft Information Store/21d10b04-d987-4ee2-aef1-c1a940c75bdb/File "MSVSSW-APP"
Run Time ........... 24:33:50

### EXCHMBX34-MailDB02
exchmbx35.domain.com:/Microsoft Exchange Replica Writer(Exchange Replication Service)/Microsoft Information Store/59a3fb11-072f-4ac4-81ea-1f021d5b93fd/File "MSVSSW-APP"
Run Time ........... 26:14:38

### EXCHMBX33-MailDB01
exchmbx34.domain.com:/Microsoft Exchange Replica Writer(Exchange Replication Service)/Microsoft Information Store/3b4ae1ab-289f-41fa-b056-8d08ab587fff/File "MSVSSW-APP"
Run Time ........... 26:57:07

### EXCHMBX34-MailDB03
exchmbx35.domain.com:/Microsoft Exchange Replica Writer(Exchange Replication Service)/Microsoft Information Store/017de81a-94cd-493d-9d42-81e14001d1f8/File "MSVSSW-APP"
Run Time ........... 33:43:19

You are running to the following tape drives & media agents:

BMA@exchmbx33.domain.com "DRV33_EXCHMBX33"
BMA@exchmbx33.domain.com "DRV34_EXCHMBX33"
BMA@exchmbx33.domain.com "DRV35_EXCHMBX33"
BMA@exchmbx33.domain.com "DRV36_EXCHMBX33"
BMA@exchmbx34.domain.com "DRV37_EXCHMBX34"
BMA@exchmbx34.domain.com "DRV38_EXCHMBX34"
BMA@exchmbx34.domain.com "DRV39_EXCHMBX34"
BMA@exchmbx34.domain.com "DRV40_EXCHMBX34"
BMA@exchmbx35.domain.com "DRV41_EXCHMBX35"
BMA@exchmbx35.domain.com "DRV42_EXCHMBX35"
BMA@exchmbx35.domain.com "DRV43_EXCHMBX35"
BMA@exchmbx35.domain.com "DRV44_EXCHMBX35"
BMA@exchmbx36.domain.com "DRV45_EXCHMBX36"
BMA@exchmbx36.domain.com "DRV46_EXCHMBX36"
BMA@exchmbx36.domain.com "DRV47_EXCHMBX36"
BMA@exchmbx36.domain.com "DRV48_EXCHMBX36"

I am not sure what the network connection is between the exchange nodes (1Gbps / 10Gbps) but I suspect the difference in duration is basically pot luck as to which tape devices get assigned to each object - if the OB2BAR client & media agent are the same the backup is quicker, if they are different the backup is potentially slower as all of the data needs to be transferred between OB2BAR and MA across the LAN.

If you look at the session objects in the Internal Database (select the session the the left hand pane and view the object in the right) and order these by client -> then scroll along the right-pane view until you get to column Device -> now check to see if there is a discrepancy between client and media agent (device) selected.

Now do the same for the session that completed quickly - does the client & MA match?

To ensure that you run end-to-end FC backups you could consider splitting your E2010 backup into multiple specifications, one for each node/ media agent (but this will have an impact on your backup type if you are running by role instead of by client)

Anyway, have a check of the objects & media agent used like I said and then feed back whether this could be the issue?

regards,
jenni

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If my post was useful, please click on KUDOS!
Top Contributors Last 30 Days