cancel

Move IDB to Another Disk

SOLVED
Go to solution
Les Crisps Respected Contributor.
Respected Contributor.

Move IDB to Another Disk

Hello,

I need to move our DP 9.09 IDB to a new disk on a SAN replicated LUN.  It is currently on a separate non-rep disk at D:\ProgramData\OmniBack, so is separate from the C: drive part at C:\Program Files\OmniBack

I assume I would have to move it to an E: drive and then rename to this to D: once the old D: disk is removed, but I'm not sure what issues I'll face doing this. This is a Server2016 VM.

What would be the best method please?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Outstanding Contributor.. Jenni_S Outstanding Contributor..
Outstanding Contributor..
Solution

Re: Move IDB to Another Disk

DP doesn't care about disk signatures etc, only about the drive letter & directory path.  So you need to do this

1. Stop DP services

2. Transfer the data to the new disk // make sure you transfer everything within the D:\Programdata\Omniback and use the same directory path on the new disk (use properties in win explorer to compare # files & folders between the 2 disks)

3. In Disk Mgmt remove the D:\ letter from the old drive and add it to the new drive

4. Start the DP services & test IDB 

Keep the old disk around for a bit until you are sure the move was successful.

regards,
jenni

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If my post was useful, please click on KUDOS!
3 REPLIES
Super Contributor.. Gamut Super Contributor..
Super Contributor..

What about mounting your new disk on D:\ProgramData\OmniBack? You would not have to change a single thing in DP.

Just mount the disk/LUN once on, say, T:. Shutdown DP, copy D:\ProgramData\OmniBack to T:, rename D:\ProgramData\OmniBack to, say, D:\ProgramData\OmniBack-delete-me-someday---moved-to-SAN-on-2018-10-19, create empty directory D:\ProgramData\OmniBack, umount T:, mount disk/LUN on D:\ProgramData\OmniBack, start DP.

It is not the answer to your question, but perhaps it is the answer to your functional question.

Les Crisps Respected Contributor.
Respected Contributor.

Thanks Gamut.

So, essentially ending up with a mountpoint for OmniBack on the LUN it's currently on?

I would ideally like to remove the LUN it's currently on as it is huge and interferes with my belts-and-braces VM cloning setup. I needed the size for a DP OS migration, but now it can go.

Your suggestion still stands up though if DP doesn't care about disk id's etc.

Copy OmniBack to T: > Unmount D: > Remount T: as new D:

Does that sound do-able?

Outstanding Contributor.. Jenni_S Outstanding Contributor..
Outstanding Contributor..
Solution

DP doesn't care about disk signatures etc, only about the drive letter & directory path.  So you need to do this

1. Stop DP services

2. Transfer the data to the new disk // make sure you transfer everything within the D:\Programdata\Omniback and use the same directory path on the new disk (use properties in win explorer to compare # files & folders between the 2 disks)

3. In Disk Mgmt remove the D:\ letter from the old drive and add it to the new drive

4. Start the DP services & test IDB 

Keep the old disk around for a bit until you are sure the move was successful.

regards,
jenni

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If my post was useful, please click on KUDOS!