Data Protector User Discussions
cancel

Port range usage on unix DP client (port greater that 65535).

Highlighted
labpto
New Member.

Port range usage on unix DP client (port greater that 65535).

Hello,

Could someone please explain why data protector tries to use port greater than 65535 (max port number).

The backup of certain objects often fails with the following message:

[Critical] From: BDA-NET@dmtmaisrv.backup.local.red "dmtmaisrv.backup.local [/var]" Time: 12/5/2018 11:01:27 PM
    Cannot connect to Media Agent on system dpmediasrv01.backup.local, port 128264 (IPC Invalid Hostname or IP Address
    System error: [2] No such file or directory
) => aborting.

Immediately after failure I restart the session and everything is fine, backup is successful.  Media agent is reachable and resolved from the client, there are no firewalls on the network nor in ip tables on the host.

I suspect the reason is due to the fact the client uses improper port 128264, while there are only 65535 ports as far as I know.

Regarding

System error: [2] No such file or directory

The directory /var is present on the client and accessible from Cell Manager GUI.

2 REPLIES
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: Port range usage on unix DP client (port greater that 65535).

Hi,

What DP version are you using?

The higher port numbers are fine. This is typically seen when port forwarding is being used. This was introduced with DP 9.09. The real port being used in your example is 128264 - 65535 = 62729. And for external communication, the connection will go over inet only (5555 or 5565 usually).

The interesting part here is the error seen (No such file or directory) and the fact that it works after a restart. How often do you see this? If you can easyly reproduce this with debugs then I would suggest you provide the debugs to support so they can check what's really going on.

Koen

labpto
New Member.

Re: Port range usage on unix DP client (port greater that 65535).

Hi Koen,

It is indeed 9.09 (upgrade planned only next year). Ok, we will open a case to vendor.

Thank you.

Top Contributors Last 30 Days