Do you have feedback on our new interface?
Do you have feedback on our new interface? Let us know HERE
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor.. jorioux Frequent Contributor..
Frequent Contributor..

PowerOn compatibility with VSAN and VVOL

Does anyone have experience with the PowerOn feature on a VSAN cluster or VVOL ?

I couldn't find anywhere whether or not it's supported.

0 Likes
5 Replies
Knowledge Partner Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: PowerOn compatibility with VSAN and VVOL

Hi @jorioux,

From what I know Power On, Live Migrate and GRE does not work with VVOLs or VSAN yet. This has been submitted as enhancements to product management some time ago.

Regards,
Sebastian Koehler

---
Please use the Like button below, if you find this post useful.
0 Likes
Frequent Contributor..

I'm asking because its not written in any KB or compatibility documents from microfocus.

When I do a PowerOn on a VSAN cluster, instead of saying VSAN is not supported and abording the PowerOn, it just do the PowerOn and corrupts the existing VM on the cluster!

0 Likes
Knowledge Partner

Hi @jorioux,

This is bad! I know they are adding support for this. I asked the Micro Focus team to update their docs for the current versions.

Regards,
Sebastian Koehler

---
0 Likes
Frequent Contributor..

I had a case opened for a few months on this issue and it has been escalated up to the microfocus devs to finally being told that VSAN and VVOL are simply not supported, end of the story, even though its not written anywhere in any docs.

Nobody in the microfocus tech support all the way up to the devs wasn't aware of this supportability issue. Like if I'm the only person to ever try to PowerOn a VM on a VSAN and VVOL cluster.

I hope this supportability issue will be included in the next DP Support Matrix revision.

0 Likes
Knowledge Partner

Hi @jorioux,

I've requested the change to the docs and I hope this limitation is removed soon because VSAN is getting more popular. VVOL is still not that commonly used for good reasons.

Regards,
Sebastian Koehler

---
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.