Do you have feedback on our new interface?
Do you have feedback on our new interface? Let us know HERE
Les Crisps Respected Contributor.
Respected Contributor.

Run Reports on Linux Installation Server

Jump to solution

Hello, We have DP 9.09 on Windows2016 with one Linux installation server on RHEL7.

My Linux admin would like to run omnirpt as root from our Linux IS but gets a permissions error:

I added an explicit admin account on the IS but he still gets an error.

'You do not have permission to use reporting and notification.'

Name: ROOT; Domain or Goup: Any; Client System: <IS Server>

Could someone please let me know what I'm missing. Thank you.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: Run Reports on Linux Installation Server

Jump to solution

Hi @Les Crisps,

When adding users to the Userlist using GUI or the omniusers command you need to specify the user type. It is either Windows or UNIX. The difference in the Userlist file is that UNIX users are lowercare and Windows users are uppercase.

So I guess you're adding the root Account as a Windows user which will not be accecpted causing this issue.

Try adding it as a UNIX user from GUI or using omniusers  -add -type U and try again.

2018-12-04_08h40_20.png

Regards,
Sebastian Koehler

---
Please assign a KUDO to this post, if you find it useful.
8 Replies
Super Contributor.. Gamut Super Contributor..
Super Contributor..

Jump to solution

I would set the client system to any as well and retest. If that does work, you obviously made a mistake with the client system. Data Protector is quite picky with DNS/names, so making a DNS based mistake in DP is something we all encounter someday.

If you still encounter problems with client system set to any, you may have set the wrong permissions. Try setting that to any as well.

Once the reporting works, narrow permissions, try "the right" DNS name or IP address. One change at the time so you know what works and what did not work.

And, if even problemen even with any/any/any, debugging with omnirpt -debug 1-500 myfirstdplog.txt -server mycellserver.mydomain your-normal-omnirpt-command-options-go-here should produce useful logging on the cell server. You did specify "-server enter-your-cellserver-name-here", did you?

Using tcpdump on the installation server might also uncover some details. Try sniffing ports like 5555. Check if the installation server contacts the right host (i.e. your cell server).

So, I would solve your issue with only basic troubleshooting knowhow and basic tools. Works fine in many situations :-).

0 Likes
Knowledge Partner

Jump to solution

Hi @Les Crisps,

Make sure the client in question is returning the correct (expected) hostname to the Cell Manager. On the Windows Cell Manager check OmniBack\log\server\crsevents.log for failed connection attempts.

Regards,
Sebastian Koehler

---
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution

Hello

Please check that owner of CRS service is menber of DP admin group, also why you used upper case letters for "ROOT".

Have you tried to add name as "root"?

Best Regards

0 Likes
Respected Contributor.

Jump to solution

Hi @Gamut

Thanks, we are running tests.

0 Likes
Respected Contributor.

Jump to solution

Hi @Sebastian.Koehler

This has been our Linux DP installation server for many years so it's unlikely to be the naming/DNS.

Thank you.

0 Likes
Respected Contributor.

Jump to solution

Hi @JBasilio

CRS service owner is member of DP admin and it will not allow me to type lower case letters.

I even copy & paste l/c chars into the field but it changes to U/C.

Bizarrely though, there are a couple of entries with l/c but I can't replicate it!

Thank you.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner

Jump to solution

Hi @Les Crisps,

When adding users to the Userlist using GUI or the omniusers command you need to specify the user type. It is either Windows or UNIX. The difference in the Userlist file is that UNIX users are lowercare and Windows users are uppercase.

So I guess you're adding the root Account as a Windows user which will not be accecpted causing this issue.

Try adding it as a UNIX user from GUI or using omniusers  -add -type U and try again.

2018-12-04_08h40_20.png

Regards,
Sebastian Koehler

---
Respected Contributor.

Jump to solution

Thanks @Sebastian.Koehler 

That sorted it! It defaults to creating Windows accounts but I wasn't aware.

Sorry for the late response but thanks again. 

Kind regards,

Les Crisps

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.