Data Protector User Discussions
cancel

migrate Data Protector Cell Manager 10.10 to a new server with different name

Highlighted
nschwendener Trusted Contributor.
Trusted Contributor.

migrate Data Protector Cell Manager 10.10 to a new server with different name

Hello all,

we have to move the DP Cell Manager to a new server which has a different name. Right now the current server is a Windows Server 2008 R2 server that runs DP 10.10.

The new server is a Windows Server 2016 that has a different name (and a different domain in the forest).

I need a step-by-step procedure of installing and migrating all the Cell Manager's data in order to not to lose anything and not creating any disruption of the current workflow.

thank you very much

best regards

Nicola

1 REPLY
Outstanding Contributor.. Jenni_S Outstanding Contributor..
Outstanding Contributor..

Re: migrate Data Protector Cell Manager 10.10 to a new server with different name

Hi Nicola,

You can follow the steps detailed in this article they also work for DP10 to Win 2016:

https://www.data-protector.org/wordpress/2016/12/migrate-dp-9-0x-dp-9-0x-hardware-microsoft-windows/ 

Some caveats:-

1. You can't move the UserList file you'll need to create this from scratch either via GUI or cmd omniusers command

2. You need to make sure that you are using the correct port 5555 or 5565 across the board

3. You need to manually migrate your clients to the new CM name (update CellServer registry key or cell_server file and also run updated omnicc security cert stuff for the new CM (run for CM on the client and for client on the CM). I recommend that you *don't* copy across the cell_info file, instead re-populate this for the clients one by one as this will confirm the security certificate generation was successful. If you are changing the INET port this is the time to do this bit too.

4. You need to export all of your schedules, move the schedule files then re-import the schedules on the new CM (use omnidbutil command)

5. As the CM name changed you'll need to run omnidbutil -change_cell_name

6. If you are also changing the account running the DP services also ensure you look at this article and make sure you change all necessary files/perms https://www.data-protector.org/wordpress/2016/01/data-protector-8-0-windows-change-user-account-dp-services/ 

7. If you use your CM as a MA for any devices you'll also need to change the client and possibly path on all of your associated devices (either via GUI or via omnidownload/omniupload commands)

I don't know the size or complexity of your environment but have done this on a number of environments and can assure you that this works & is totally possible The most time consuming thing is the clients migration, especially if you have 100s of clients. So I advise that you plan for downtime and ensure that you have enough time to do it all so you don't get stressed working against the clock.

Good Luck :-)

regards,
jenni

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If my post was useful, please click on KUDOS!
Top Contributors Last 30 Days