Data Protector User Discussions
cancel

"Backup failed because unable to utilize CBT as it was required"

Gamut Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

I'm on DP 9.09_115 Linux (CM and MM). All of a sudden, VMware jobs are failing with:

But only on 1 of 6 cell managers. No known changes were done to the VMware environment yesterday, nor any relevant changes to the cell manager. Last week had a relevant change: upgrade from vSphere 6.0 to 6.5, but I fail to see how this would cause these problems 6 days later...

My best guess is that VMware is somehow to blame, and I can use your assistance. Perhaps you have seen this problem too, and might be able to share pointers/workarounds/solutions.

I am also looking for a workaround. In particular: how can I disable the forcing of CBT? I know the incremental backups will be slow as hell whem CBT cannot be used, but if the problem persists, a slow backup beats no backup...

3 REPLIES
Gamut Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

Re: "Backup failed because unable to utilize CBT as it was required"

I found a way to enable non-CBT backups in https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=c04318203.

* Go to the VMware job.

* Right mouse button on the VM of your choice.

* Select "Configure Virtual Machines...".

* Uncheck "Use common settings for selected VM".

* Keep "Use changed block tracking" checked.

* Check "Allow fallback to non-CBT backups".

* Hit "OK".

I tried it on one the VM's that could not be backed up, and DP was able to back it up.

Gamut Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

Since a loads of VM's have this backup problem (but certainly not all), I didn't want to enable the fallback for every single failing VM. Fortunately, DP can do that:

* Go to any VMware job.
* Right mouse button on any VM.
* Select "Configure Virtual Machines...".
* Select the following virtual machine: "(Common VM Settings)"
* Keep "Use changed block tracking" checked.
* Check "Allow fallback to non-CBT backups".
* Hit "OK".

IIRC, this will non only change to non-CBT backup for the job, but for ALL DP VMware jobs.
Gamut Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

Update:

The problem started when the ESX nodes were upgraded from 6.0 to 6.5.

Furthermore, the problem seems to disappear once a full is made instead of an incremental.

Since the problems disappear after fulls, I will not determine the root cause. If the problem is gone, it is good enough for me at this moment.

Top Contributors Last 30 Days