Changes to the community structure and the menu bar
Significant changes have happened to the structure of our community and our drop down menu bar. READ ABOUT IT HERE
Data Protector User Discussions
cancel

we merge two deffrent IDB as one IDB in HP Data Protector.

SOLVED
Go to solution
Nazim_Ansari  Frequent Contributor..
 Frequent Contributor..

we merge two deffrent IDB as one IDB in HP Data Protector.

Hi Champs,

I have come again with a new query and brain stroming for you.

I am using HP data Protector 7.03 and one of the cell manager got crashed and i have start backup with another new DP server. But now we have recovered our old IDB and want to merge with new one. Is it possible to merge old IDB with new IDB?

Please suggest with resolution is appriciated in advace.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Micro Focus Expert Sherman_S-DP_L3
Micro Focus Expert
Solution

Re: we merge two deffrent IDB as one IDB in HP Data Protector.

Hello Nazim_Ansari,

Looking at this line :

. . . . but the issue is some MCF files taking more time to import i.e. one of the file running since 23rd Jan 2017 but not getting error or not showing procesing percentage. Can we see this processing or percentage for mcf file import in HP DP 7.03. If this file taking more time then expected there is any other way to import it.

I would recommend that you check the IDB - might be some corruption.

Run "omnidbcheck -extended" and "omnidbcheck -dc -detail"

Check for any errors and then fix, if any.

Also, before you do IMPORT MCF, did you check if on the destination CM/IDB, that particular media exists or not ? You need to ensure that it is non-existent before you do IMPORT MCF - same requirement as IMPORT TAPE.

Hope this helps

rgds,

Sherman

HPE DP Support

7 REPLIES
KloppYNWA69
Absent Member.

there was a -mergemmdb with omnidbutil so this could be used but I've never run it. It also requires a MoM which you can setup between the new cell and the old recovered cell....

What I would do is go to the old cell manager and MCF export all media out to files, copy to new cell and MCF import.

if this helps, please click KUDOS. thanks!

Frequent Contributor..

Hi Klopp,

i am using MCF method for the same. I am facing very slow export and import of the files in our IDB old and new. One fiel to export with the size of 1 or 2 GB taking 2 or 3 days. Always taken same time to import in IDB. Please suggest what we do to make speed up this process.

KloppYNWA69
Absent Member.

Hi,

this should not be that slow. How big are the media you are exporting? Very large? Are your cell managers under alot of load?

I've done this before and not had that sort of problem. Maybe do a writedb/readdb on the old cell manager and see if this helps performance....IDB could be quite fragmented.

Frequent Contributor..

Hi Klopp, Thanks for your reply.. Could you please explain the procedure of writedb/readdb and downtime is required for that or not?
Micro Focus Expert

Hello Nazim_Ansari,

I would like to make a short comment/answer on this query -  Is it possible to merge old IDB with new IDB?

No - it is not possible to merge two different IDB.

For MOM Envrionment, the only "centralized" component is the MMDB and CDB is still unique to each CM. IDB is made up of CDB and MMDB.

Your option - you have to decide which one will be your "final IDB" and then rebuild it using IMPORT MCF.

Assuming CM no.2 is your final CM.

CM/IDB no.1

Copying the Catalog Media Data to the MCF File 

Copying media-related catalog data to a file writes the detail information like file names and file versions into media container format (MCF) files that reside on the Cell Manager. These files can then be imported into another Data Protector Cell Manager where the media-related catalog data becomes available for browsing.

CM/IDB no. 2

Importing the Catalog Media Data from the MCF Files

Importing media-related catalog data copies from media container format (MCF) files from the original Cell Manager enables you to browse through the files on the destination Cell Manager.

Do take note of the limitations.

Hope this helps

rgds,

Sherman

HPE DP SUPPORT

Frequent Contributor..

Hi Sherman,

Thanks for your reply..

I also started this practice to export and import MCF files from old to new IDB but the issue is some MCF files taking more time to import i.e. one of the file running since 23rd Jan 2017 but not getting error or not showing procesing percentage. Can we see this processing or percentage for mcf file import in HP DP 7.03. If this file taking more time then expected there is any other way to import it.

Micro Focus Expert
Solution

Hello Nazim_Ansari,

Looking at this line :

. . . . but the issue is some MCF files taking more time to import i.e. one of the file running since 23rd Jan 2017 but not getting error or not showing procesing percentage. Can we see this processing or percentage for mcf file import in HP DP 7.03. If this file taking more time then expected there is any other way to import it.

I would recommend that you check the IDB - might be some corruption.

Run "omnidbcheck -extended" and "omnidbcheck -dc -detail"

Check for any errors and then fix, if any.

Also, before you do IMPORT MCF, did you check if on the destination CM/IDB, that particular media exists or not ? You need to ensure that it is non-existent before you do IMPORT MCF - same requirement as IMPORT TAPE.

Hope this helps

rgds,

Sherman

HPE DP Support