Do you have feedback on our new interface?
Do you have feedback on our new interface? Let us know HERE
Member.. AlexCampoverde
Member..

Unable to start hp webinspect trusted certificate web server

Hello,

I have install WIE 18.10, integrated with SSC (each one in different server). All options work normally, except guided scanning - Native Mobile, i have the error with this message.

"Unable to start hp webinspect trusted certificate web server." Pleas try another IP address try again If the problem persists you need to check your firewall rules to allow for the configured port. "

I have firewall and antivirus disable.

Thank you for your help

0 Likes
1 Reply
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: Unable to start hp webinspect trusted certificate web server

After installing WebInspect, it is important to open the MSIE browser and accept the certificate/plugin prompted.  This adds a WebInspect certificate to the browser, for use later when using Web Proxy for a variety of recording tasks.  One of those tasks does happen to include the Native Mobile app scanning, where WebInspect essentially turns itself into an intercept proxy to capture the mobile application's activity.

Please verify that your MSIE browser has this certificate by opening MSIE > Tools menu > Internet Options > Programs tab > Manage Add-ons button > panel for Toolbars and Extensions.  There should be an entry under Micro Focus for HP.AppSec..IEPlugin..BrowserHelper.

Additionally, when you first install WebInspect, it should have prompted you to let it auto-configure firewall rules.  I do not know how to correct that entry if you deferred the option, so you might need Fortify Support (https://softwaresupport.softwaregrp.com) for that.

The Native Mobile App scan mode in WebInspect is very similar to the Manual Step-Mode scan.  WebInspect opens a hidden instance of Web Proxy, and offers its own certificate so it can man-in-the-middle your mobile app traffic.  You must ensure that the mobile device is on the same LAN network as WebInspect, and that it can reach the offered URL to load and accept that certificate.  I found the most difficult detail was setting the proxy in the mobile device, as many offer different controls, settings, or interfaces for this, and frequently prefer to hop onto cellular networks instead of the LAN.

Lastly, be sure you do not have some HIPS or Group Policy that could be preventing our inserting or running our own intercept proxy on the local machine.  You can test this manually using the included Web Proxy tool.

Understanding all of these details, it is up to you to identify what might be limiting the connection in your environment.  Our Fortify Support team may be able to assist as well.

-- Habeas Data
Micro Focus Fortify Customers-Only Forums – https://community.softwaregrp.com/t5/Fortify/ct-p/fortify
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.