cancel

Informational posts appear as unanswered questions

SOLVED
Go to solution
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Informational posts appear as unanswered questions

Hello, 

Some Software Supports colleagues post nice support tips (I like those!!!) in the forums, but there does not seem to be a way to define that this is an information and not a questions. All the support tips appear under "Unanswered Topics" and there does not seem to be a way to mark them as answered. Maybe someone needs to create a dummy answer like saying "thanks" and marking this as answered? I don't know. What do you think would be the best option? 

If you want to understand what I mean, you can look at e.g. the ALM/QC forum:

https://community.softwaregrp.com/t5/Quality-Center-ALM/ct-p/sws-QC

There is some nice support tips. And my question is how can we make them not appear under "Unanswered questions", because those are not actually questions, but rather nice tips! And most important: I want to keep them, so do not remove. These tips are rather useful. I am just saying that "Unanswered questions" might not be the right place for those tips to show up, but I like the way they are mixed with other posts and answers so that you can easily find them when you search the forums or browse through some topics. 

Thanks,
-Thomas

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Community Manager kgroneman Community Manager
Community Manager
Solution

Re: Informational posts appear as unanswered questions

@Thomas Köppner we've made progress on this.   We will be separating informational content from question/answer content.   We'll do this in a couple of ways.

1.  Use news & information forums to push that type of content
  2. Create "Tips & Information" areas for each product where that content belongs

This will leave discussion areas for question/answer content. 

We're currently working on a new user interface that should be in place by the end of the month.  We're also busy migrating and consolidating content from our other community sites to this one.   Once that dust has cleared, we'll start working on things like this to make the community better.  Thanks for your input.

--
My computer used to beat me at chess all the time, but then I changed the competition to kick boxing.......
4 REPLIES
Community Manager

Good point.  I see the problem.   I'll take this back to the community team to discuss.  Maybe a separate area for support tips?     Thanks for the feedback. 

--
My computer used to beat me at chess all the time, but then I changed the competition to kick boxing.......
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Thanks for looking into this. Maybe there is no perfect solution. I actually like the concept of having support tips right in between the user dicussions. When I search a specific forum for an answer to a technical question I sometimes also find the related support tips in my search query which is just great. This way I do not have to do two searches. And I am thinking of new users who might not yet be that familiar with the forum structure. They probably just search one product forum and will for sure not look into another area.  

Community Manager

Here's one possible scenario.   We could create what the system calls a "Tribal Knowledge Base"  and put it in the category along side the forum etc:  https://community.softwaregrp.com/t5/Quality-Center-ALM/ct-p/sws-QC   That way when you do a search in that category, the TKB articles (tips) would show in search along with forum articles, but they don't show as unanswered posts in that module.  

Here's a TKB that's being used for product documentation https://community.softwaregrp.com/t5/WebInspect-17-10/tkb-p/webinspect-1710 

Here's a different style being used as an announcements board:  https://community.softwaregrp.com/t5/NOM-Announcements/tkb-p/NOM_Announcements

Here's one being used to hold general information/tips:  https://community.softwaregrp.com/t5/KP-Documentation-Tips/tkb-p/KPkb 

--
Highlighted
Community Manager
Solution

@Thomas Köppner we've made progress on this.   We will be separating informational content from question/answer content.   We'll do this in a couple of ways.

1.  Use news & information forums to push that type of content
  2. Create "Tips & Information" areas for each product where that content belongs

This will leave discussion areas for question/answer content. 

We're currently working on a new user interface that should be in place by the end of the month.  We're also busy migrating and consolidating content from our other community sites to this one.   Once that dust has cleared, we'll start working on things like this to make the community better.  Thanks for your input.

--