IT Asset Manager / Connect-IT User Discussions
cancel

Request for more information while Approving the request

SOLVED
Go to solution
Honored Contributor.. headstrong Honored Contributor..
Honored Contributor..

Request for more information while Approving the request

Hi Experts,

We have created a workflow which has multiple request workflow.

There is a requirement where the Approver can send back the request to the requester seeking some more information. 

Approver will input the queries and send back to the requester, then the requester will update the request providing the required informaion. Once submitted it should follow the normal workflow.

PFA the screenshot of the workflow.

R's 

headsrong

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Mark Cullen_1 Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.
Solution

Re: Request for more information while Approving the request

You state the customer is looking for automation for posting queries/rejection comments but you don't state what their requirements are for the automation.

There is an oob comments field on the task in progress (see Comment tab) where they can enter their information.  You would then be able to obtain via workflow instance context.

You can change the related workflow activity action type to "User action" which will give the ability to associate a wizard.  The wizard will have to be developed and can perform whatever they want but basically it should prompt them to enter their queries/rejection comments or it can prompt them for pre-defined options.  The wizard would have to store this information to be used later which means you can save against the context record directly.

Going the wizard route means the approver will have to manually start the wizard where prompted in tasks in progress screen.

If they are looking for autmation related with their email notification, to approve/refuse/more info., then good luck as this is outside of AM.

11 REPLIES
Acclaimed Contributor.

Sorry but I do not see a question so I am guessing you are asking about "how" to go about putting in the ability to bypass the approval/deny to communicate back for more information?  Is this a correct guess?

Honored Contributor..

Hi Mark,

Yes you are correct and after getting this information from requester. It should follow the primary workflow.

R's headstrong

Acclaimed Contributor.

Unless I am not understanding just add to the workflow for the bypass as it seems like you just want to add to the approval process.  This means moving the transition to the new activity(s) and then transitioning back or continuing where the transition was broken.  There is nothing stopping you from looping back to a previous activity but you have to make sure NOT to cause a loop else the APM service will think it is in a loop and stop it.  Remember, Transitions can also have scripting logic (AQL condition) to determine whether to continue or not.

Honored Contributor..

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the reply...

This might be the very stupid question, but still I am not able to understand this can be done.

Example using the above screenhot:

The request went to the Line Manager for the approval (it a workflow task) then if he requres to sent it back to the requester for more information where he can put his query and how the requester will see his and reply to his query ( As its a workflow task how the query will be posted to the request so that it become visible to the requester).

Then after the requester replies to the query then how the request will follow the primary workflow. Also this we need to do it for all the approvals.

R's 

headstrong

Honored Contributor..

Hi Experts,

Any suggestions

R's

headstrong

Acclaimed Contributor.

I see a need for another event like 'Approve/Deny/More info.' and to identify a way to read what else is needed.  Maybe the Line Manager can utilize the comment field of context record to store query specifics that need to be answered.  This third event would transition to requester notifying them where to find the query specifics and prompt for response.  The response can cause transition back to Line Manager where the 'Approve/Deny/More info.' can be selected again.  Remember, the tasks in progress will have a direct link to context record where stored query/response can be viewed.

Honored Contributor..

Hi Mark,

I am trying to understand more on this, How the Approver will provide the comments (His Query) and this query will be displayed to the user to reply back. I checked the workflow activity there is no comments section also, how this comment will be posted to the user.

R's headstrong

Acclaimed Contributor.

Just as the approver currently does, to determine whether to approve/deny, the approver can access the context record detail from the tasks in progress.  If the approver requires more information then the approver will modify the context record by adding to the comments field.  This comments field is oob against the context table (this is not the workflow or workflow activity).  The approver would then come back to the task in progress and select the more info button (instead of the approve/deny buttons).  This will trigger the workflow process to notify the requester.  The workflow process to notify the requester can either pull the comment from the context record or can instruct the requester to review the comment on the context record.  The requester can then access the context record detail from the tasks in progress, modify context record by adding answer (in same comment field) then come back to task in progress and select answered button.  This will trigger the workflow process to notify the approver again.

Honored Contributor..

Hi Mark,

I understood the things and tried to convience the customer but as per them Approver will not go to the request and post its comments  rather they are looking for some kind of automation for posting queries and rejection comments.

I tried to trigger the email for rejection comments but nothing is happeing. Also, tried to create the new workflow to monitor the Workflow user choice but I am getting the error that caAgent can't monitor that field.

R's headstrong

Acclaimed Contributor.
Solution

You state the customer is looking for automation for posting queries/rejection comments but you don't state what their requirements are for the automation.

There is an oob comments field on the task in progress (see Comment tab) where they can enter their information.  You would then be able to obtain via workflow instance context.

You can change the related workflow activity action type to "User action" which will give the ability to associate a wizard.  The wizard will have to be developed and can perform whatever they want but basically it should prompt them to enter their queries/rejection comments or it can prompt them for pre-defined options.  The wizard would have to store this information to be used later which means you can save against the context record directly.

Going the wizard route means the approver will have to manually start the wizard where prompted in tasks in progress screen.

If they are looking for autmation related with their email notification, to approve/refuse/more info., then good luck as this is outside of AM.

Honored Contributor..

Thanks a lot Mark.....

Wizard I feel is the best way....

But surely automation is not possible which customer is looking for...... :(

R's headstrong