The introduction of the HPE Operations Bridge container deployment with the Operations Bridge 2017.04 release provides an easy method to scale the Business Value Dashboard.
Let’s use the scenario shown on the left to illustrate it:
The BVD dashboard reflects the status of the customer’s environment. In the example, one BVD receiver is being used.
The customer anticipates that the input rate of the BVD receiver is going to increase because she wants to offer even more dashboards and send more data to BVD.
Therefore, she decides to add two BVD receivers. With the containerized BVD version, this is very simple without incurring any downtime.
The few necessary steps can either be done in theManagement Portal or via CLI.
Let’s start with the Management Portal.
1. Log in to the Management Portal.The Management Portal is a customized Kubernetes management portal that allows you to configure and manage your containerized Operations Bridge deployment.
2. As the BVD and so the BVD receiver belong to the namespace opsbridge, select opsbridge as a namespace in the left panel to only focus on deployments of this namespace.
In the provided scenario, the Management Portal looks like this:
3. Select the Action menu of the bvd-receiver-deployment and itsoption View/edit YAML to open the Edit a Deployment window.
4. The number of BVD receivers to run is defined via the parameter ‘replicas’. Search for ‘replicas’ and change its value from 1 to 3.
5. The resulting number of receivers can be seen in the list of deployments. All three are up and running.
The equivalent command to achieve the above uses the same parameters:
# kubectl scale deployment --replicas=3 bvd-receiver-deployment --namespace opsbridgeOutput: deployment "bvd-receiver-deployment" scaled
Either way, it’s easily possible to increase and decrease the number of BVD receivers. The same can be done for BVD web servers as well.
This allows for scaling web servers temporarily or permanently when a high-user load for the BVD is expected, for example during a new rollout of services.
In the future, this mechanism will also be introduced for other components of the Operations Bridge Suite as they are converted to micro services.
Learn more about the Operations Bridge suite
Explore the full capabilities of the Operations Bridge Suite and technology integrations:
Great description on this step by step scaling of Business Value Dashboard. I think many will find this useful.
Looking forward for the micro services of other components.
I'm very pleased we're into containers
We just need to keep in track and don't forget that maybe some customers still want the systems they have now and are not so interested in moving to the cloud
Looking forward to In the future, this mechanism will also be introduced for other components of the Operations Bridge Suite as they are converted to micro services..
very easy to scale!!!
Good article, very informative
Good to know
Any thoughts on making this an auto-scaled service? the promise of container orchestration is to auto scale services, so while this demonstrates the flexibility to scale at human intervention, is the goal ultimately to allow it to scale by itself?
Feedback on the UI... its painful viewing / editing any YAML... this is probably more a Kubernetes Dashboard issue.. but HPE/MicroFocus should contribute back to the community, and look at updating the code to allow the pop-up window to be increased in size etc.
You must be a registered user to add a comment. If you've already registered, sign in. Otherwise, register and sign in.