Implementation / Access Issues
cancel

Enterprise Studio Manager for HP TRIM or HP RM

Highlighted
TRIMGuru Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

Enterprise Studio Manager for HP TRIM or HP RM

Hi everybody,

Does anyone know of a way to run the Enterprise Studio Manager on other than the workgroup server and still have full functionality of it?  Also, I believe the logon credentials, when you start the Enterprise Studio Manager must have full permissions in the SQL DB?

Any help would be appreciated as I'm currently "locked out" of the Enterprise Studio Manager by my IT Department (who is refusing to budge on the matter).

5 REPLIES
Rich_Kid
Absent Member.

Re: Enterprise Studio Manager for HP TRIM or HP RM

if you install trim using the 64 bit msi on a 64 bit workstation and add the Server then you will get TES on that workstation.

After the install you can then disable the Trim server services on that workstation (as you probably don't want to run an actual workgroup server on the workstation) 

then go in to TES put in your license key, and add a workgroup server pointing to your real workgroup server.

you will need to register the Dataset and event processes so that you can monitor them.

of course being the 64 bit install you cant integrate with 32 bit office apps on that workstation.

To register a dataset and update schemas etc, the account you run TES with also needs to have SQL rights (I use DBOwner) as this is done with those credentials, not, the credentials of the service account running the workgroup server (which also needs those rights).

Pete Wiseman
Absent Member.

Another option once you've got Enterprise Manager installed is to get hold of a copy of the Production TRIMConfig.tcfg and overwtite the one on your workstation with it.  Downside is you need a fresh copy when the Prod one is updated.

You still need the requisite permissions.

Ralf_Wegener
Absent Member.

Perhaps this is another option.

- Share datapath folder  ..\ServerData (path to TRIMconfig.tcfg) to a group of users (read or write access)

- Depending on ole db dataset Authentication (Windows or SQL) and being part of the local admin group across all participating workgroup server(s), you should be able fire  up TES and monitor/administer settings from a client PC without accessing /RDP onto TRIM server.

**My opinions are my own personal opinions.

kapish.com.au
Harry-Koppanyi Outstanding Contributor.
Outstanding Contributor.

Sounds like a  brilliant idea Ralf. 

Cheers,
Harry
Gcoop88
Absent Member.

I have been testing out installing TES on a workstation recently. I learned why it is a good idea to use the same config file on the server and the workstation.  I thought I was being careful by only defining the demodb dataset connection on the workstation and then deployed it.    To my surprise this replaced my configuration file on the server, causing the non-demodb dataset connection to be deleted from the server.  Luckily, this was in a "test" environment. 

The 8.11 documentation says only windows servers are suported for running TES.   Is your workstation a windows 7/8 machine?     If so, have you run into an problems? 

Are you using "windows authentication" for the sql acces requried for the database connection in the dataset definition?

Another thing I was wondering about, was if any load balancing occurs between the server and the workstation, if you have TES defined on both for the same workgroup.