NOTICE: Branded Content
NOTICE: Certain versions of content (“Material”) accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.
LoadRunner User Discussions
cancel

If Exist condition in True Client Protocol

HONEY1 Regular Contributor.
Regular Contributor.

If Exist condition in True Client Protocol

Hi 

I recorded the script in TrueClient protocol and kept transactions for each action.  Observed the response times are very very less compare to real user response time.  To avoid that I used the condition "If-exists" to capture the object after the action transaction coming to end and observed the response times in LoadRunner. Compared the response times with manual response times and Loadrunner response times. these response times are approximately ok. Please help me the approch is correct to capture response times and suggest me is any best way to do the same.

3 REPLIES
Outstanding Contributor.. JHF Remmelzwaal Outstanding Contributor..
Outstanding Contributor..

Re: If Exist condition in True Client Protocol

I'm not sure what triggers the completion of an action (network response?). After receiving the network, the DOM needs to be updated and the information needs to be rendered, so timing that will be too short indeed.

I have the habit to add (and include into transaction) a wait-for-object after each action that causes communication with the backend. An if-exists might do as well, but the name indicates another scripting purpose.

Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi,

Transaction response time in TruClient relies heavily on the Step End Events which are used also to synchronize the script execution ensuring successful replay.

In order to get realistic transaction response times you should probably assign end events manually to each step based on your understanding of the application behavior. Note that in some cases some end events will not happen (e.g. if a specific step is triggering a client side only operation, you will not have any http activity and as a result "Step network completed" event is irrelevant).

You can use "Object Exist" end event or add wait for object, but still be sure to review each and every step end events as the transaction response time is the sum of the time it took for all steps within the context of the transaction to execute.

Regards,
Shlomi

Highlighted
Valued Contributor.. Pushpendra1688 Valued Contributor..
Valued Contributor..

One thing I have understood about truclient is that you should know the real nature/behavior of each step in script. Truclient captures several kind of steps as part of transaction , which includes client side activity (typing , selecting check box , static dropdown, truclient functions , IF-Else , Wait time etc )  which doesn't makes any call to the server. So definitely we don't want to mark end event for such action as "Step Network completed" because there is no network involved at all. 

But if there is a step which is making call to server and you are making end event as "Step completed" or "action completed" then Truclient will wait only to complete the user action and it will skip waiting for response to come back from server. So you wouldn't get true response time of transaction. More to it , it can lead to failure of script, because truclient replay will proceed to next step without waiting for response from previous step. So often script fails because we haven't set step end event carefully and we keep troubleshooting object ID instead of checking step end event. So setting correct step end event is crucial not for just "end transaction" step but for every truclient step in script.

This understanding has helped me a lot in making truclient script more stable and robust, let me confess majority of time truclient script fails on a particular step just because previous step was not completed successfully or step end event was not set correct. So again scrutinize each step carefully and understand its behavior then set the end event accordingly.