Maintenance is complete- We've moved from the saas.hpe.com domain to softwaregrp.com click to read more
As part of our journey to complete our separation work and our future integration with Micro Focus, we've now updated our domain for the community. This is an interim step, which will be followed by a series of future update / improvements: - Piloting Idea boards - Refreshing the entire UI. (more to come later) - and more
Network Automation Practitioners Forum
cancel

configure NA syslog forwarder to send to multipe syslog collectors

Bitdog
Honored Contributor.

configure NA syslog forwarder to send to multipe syslog collectors

I have a requirement to get syslog events to different collectors.  It appears that the last forwarder in the list is the on that messages get sent to.  Is there awy to have NA forward to 2 targets?

<!-- 12 Aug 2013  Setting for Syslog Forwrding -->
        <option name="syslog/listener_address">172.30..18.232</option>
        <option name="syslog/listener_port">514</option>
        <array name="syslog/handlers">
                <value>com.hp.nas.syslog.NASSyslogHandler</value>
                <value>com.hp.nas.syslog.NASSyslogForwarder</value>
        </array>

<option name="syslog/forward_host">172.21..40.36</option>
        <option name="syslog/forward_port">5114</option>
        <option name="syslog/forward_host">172.22.61..250</option>
        <option name="syslog/forward_port">5014</option>

Humbly,

Carl

“The world as we have created it is a process of our thinking. It cannot be changed without changing our thinking.”
― Albert Einstein
5 REPLIES
Huy_V
Super Contributor.

Re: configure NA syslog forwarder to send to multipe syslog collectors

Per the document, it seems NA can only takes one forwarder.

I've seen most users sending syslog to a different server from NA, have that server/app forward syslog to multiple destinations. syslog-ng is one of the freewares that can handle this very effective.

Hope this helps,

Huy

Bitdog
Honored Contributor.

thanks for you input.

“The world as we have created it is a process of our thinking. It cannot be changed without changing our thinking.”
― Albert Einstein
Chris_Powers
Outstanding Contributor.

I second Huy's comment - syslog-ng is something I've used in a few locations and each time had it handle syslog forwarding.   As a result, just haven't looked to have NA do forwarding or even have devices send syslog to many hosts.  Devices -> syslog-ng => tools that process syslog.   

Scott Northrup
Trusted Contributor.

+1 to what Chris said.

While we're at it (with syslog-ng) we also filter the syslog messages so that only the change messages get sent to NA.

agonza
Super Contributor.

in a multicore environment you can add those settings as core-specific (array in appserver.rcx) and put different servers on each individual core.