NOTICE: Branded Content
NOTICE: Certain versions of content (“Material”) accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.
Network Automation User Discussions
cancel

NA runs slowly

Highlighted
shady_kozman Respected Contributor.
Respected Contributor.

NA runs slowly

Hello All, 

i am facing an issue as the NA runs slowly on some PCs so may i know any idea for troubleshooting. i checked and these PC are using the recommended browser.

the NA version is 10.40 

note: i mean running slowly when working on the tool not running tasks  

8 REPLIES
Acclaimed Contributor.. AndyKemp Acclaimed Contributor..
Acclaimed Contributor..

Re: NA runs slowly

What browser is being used, what the PC OS and version and what does the system resources look like when this occurs?

Have a nice day :)

Andy Kemp
I've lasted longer in the technology industry than most certifications.
 Micro Focus Expert Pedro_B_NA  Micro Focus Expert
 Micro Focus Expert

Hi @shady_kozman,

go to your NA server, on <home_dir>/jre/ and look for these files:

1.  appserver.rcx

<option name="connect/AppServerURL">xx.xx.xx.xx:1099</option>  ◄ xx.xx.xx.xx is the NA IP address

2. Change ‘AppServerURL’ in commandlineclient.rcx  e.g.:

<option name="connect/AppServerURL">xx.xx.xx.xx:1099</option>  ◄ xx.xx.xx.xx is the the NA IP address

also I recommend you to run a Pruner task to clean old NA events that can cause some slow down on some pages when doing navigation.

Pedro A. Batista
Customer Support Engineer

If you find that this or any other post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.
If you are satisfied with anyone’s response please remember to give them a KUDOS by clicking on the THUMB at the bottom left of the post and show your appreciation.
Respected Contributor.

Hello @AndyKemp

thanks for your reply. i's not getting delayed while running the task but it's getting some delay when I surf the  NA console..

So, any idea for what can cause the issue ? i use the mentioned web browser and java 

thanks inn advance 

Shady Kozman 

Respected Contributor.

Hello @Pedro_B_NA,

thanks for your reply. i checked the 2 files and they both have the correct configuration. so, is there any idea what else can be checked 

Best Regards 

Shady Kozman 

Acclaimed Contributor.. AndyKemp Acclaimed Contributor..
Acclaimed Contributor..

If you've got a larger sized environment for your server specifications, I would look at a couple of things:

1. Database performance: ensure you've got a sufficient number of concurrent sessions configured on the database side.
  2. Database health: if you're using Oracle look at an AWR for the time the slowness occurs.
  3. Indexes need to be periodically rebuilt
  4. Pruning: prune often and on each core every day.

Have a nice day :)

Andy Kemp
I've lasted longer in the technology industry than most certifications.
Outstanding Contributor.. Chris_Powers Outstanding Contributor..
Outstanding Contributor..

So, this is just with the proxy, correct?  

Tasks run fine, if you're in the Web UI, that's fine - pages load fine, data is retrieved fine?  

Is this Windows or Linux NA?  

You using the built-in Java option for proxy or something like Putty or SecureCRT?  

Is it slow to connect TO the proxy, or it is slow once you get in the proxy?  

If it is once you get in the proxy, slow running all commands?  Can you give an example of something you're doing that is slow from the proxy?  

If it is the built-in Java, can you try to connect with Putty and see if you have the same issue.?  

Do you have a lot of proxy sessions open at the same time?  Anything changed between prior time (when it was good) and now , maybe you're doing more tasks that would use proxy sessions?  Is this happening all the time 24 x7 or just say when NA is busy or during work hours?  

Thanks,

Chris

Respected Contributor.

hello @AndyKemp

many thanks for your info. can you please tell me how can i rebuild the indexes.

thanks in advance 

Micro Focus Expert Pedro_B_NA  Micro Focus Expert
 Micro Focus Expert

Hi @shady_kozman,

that is detailed on this document:

https://softwaresupport.hp.com/group/softwaresupport/search-result/-/facetsearch/document/KM02120316

here is the info in case you can't see it:

1. Review the database retention values under Admin - Administrative Settings - Server - Database Pruning:

specifically for "Tasks" and "Events"

you may need to alter the default values.

Depending on the NA environment size and the task running frequency the associated tables may grow excessively.

As a result any read from these tables will be slow, hence introducing a slowness in the UI actions like searching, listing the recent tasks, even login times.

Note:

As by default for each user the Home page contains the owning tasks, recent device configuration changes and recent events, the login could be slower.

In order to disable these displays, every user should go to My Settings – click on My Preferences – set to "No" the following and save:

Show My Tasks and Approval Requests (When workflow is enabled) on the home page

Show Recent Changes on the home page

Show Recent Events on the home page

Note:

When running large NA Proxy operations like API or CLI scripts which get huge command outputs from devices,

the database associated table may grow dramatically.

If this retention data is not needed, make sure to disable the "Log Responses" and "Force Logging" options in

Admin - Administrative Settings - Telnet/SSH.

If this retention data is needed, make sure to properly control the "Sessions" retention settings.

2. Run the NA pruning task at least once a week (depending on the NA environment size this may need to be scheduled more frequently).

Note:

The Data Pruning task results will show how many records were deleted for each item. Ideally the number of deleted records should be close to 0 for every pruner item.

This is the best indicator that would show if the task needs to be run more frequently or not.

Depending on the amount of data to be pruned, the NA Pruning task could take hours, therefore the Max Task Length value should be set accordingly in

Admin - Administrative Settings - Server.

If the Max Task Length is lower than the actual Pruning task duration, the task will fail with a timeout warning.

This doesn't mean however that no data was pruned until the timeout. Therefore, the task should be run until it succeeds.

NA Oracle database:

3. DBA to check the NA DB tablespace fragmentation and run the defragmentation when needed.

For more information please consult the NA Admin Guide section called "Reclaiming Unused Space (Oracle)"

4. DBA to check the NA DB index status and rebuild them if needed

- an easy way would be to rebuild them online without a downtime:

ALTER INDEX <index name> REBUILD ONLINE;

For more information about the index status check and rebuild methods, please consult the Oracle documentation.

5. Although the database tuning is an Oracle DBA task.

Here are some optimizer parameters that have been seen to work well in various customer environments:

alter system set optimizer_mode = ALL_ROWS

alter system set optimizer_index_caching  = 20

alter system set optimizer_index_cost_adj = 80

For other Oracle optimizer tuning methods please consult the Oracle documentation.

Pedro A. Batista
Customer Support Engineer

If you find that this or any other post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.
If you are satisfied with anyone’s response please remember to give them a KUDOS by clicking on the THUMB at the bottom left of the post and show your appreciation.