NOTICE: Branded Content
NOTICE: Certain versions of content (“Material”) accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.
Operations Bridge Idea Exchange
cancel

Add Time To Live Field For Events Or Allow Dynamic Time Based Automation Rules

We want to age out our active events, I.e. close them, after a certain amount of time. This is mostly for stateless events like log messages or stateful events where a clearing event was missed for some reason. A simple time based automation rule will not work for us since we want to age different events for different amounts of time.

What we have done to solve the problem at our site is to add a custom message attribute to all events called AgeToClose that has the number of minutes an event should remain active. We have a script that runs every 5 minutes and closes events that have exceeded the age for that event by comparing against the time last received.

I would like to see a similar time to live field for events supported in the product. Alternatively allow time based automation rules to use a dynamic value that is set from a value in the message such as a custom message attribute.

3 Comments
Micro Focus Expert

Hi, thank you for the idea. I did not quite understand how different would it be to add an event arrtribute 'timetolive' than what you did with custom attribute. I think you are asking for TBEA rules to allow to specify the time not in the form of a few mins/hrs/days etc. but rather read it from another attribute so thats not an alternate but the real requirement? Please correct me if thats not the case. Btw, there is an event attribute called "event age" , have you looked at that?

Micro Focus Expert
Status changed to: Waiting for Votes

Respected Contributor..

I think the requirement is more flexible support for event aging for use cases where there are many different times to live so we can more easily manage events that don't auto-clear.

There are any number of ways to implement this feature. One possibility is to add the idea of event aging natively to the product as a new feature/field in the event. Another possible way to implement, and perhaps the easiest, is to utilize an existing feature like TBEA but allow the age to be derived from an event custom attribute.

We have a working solution now but it is a work-around for a capability that I feel is missing in the product. I would prefer this capability be in the product rather than having to run a cron job every five minutes to run a custom script.