Performance Center Practitioners Forum
cancel

How do you setup Merged Pools of shared Hosts for projects in Perf Center 12.53

Jim Hazen
Frequent Contributor.

How do you setup Merged Pools of shared Hosts for projects in Perf Center 12.53

In Performance Center 11.5 you could create a "Merged Pool" of shared hosts to use for a Project.  Like this:
http://www.perftesting.co.uk/sharing-load-generators-in-hp-performance-center/2011/10/07/
How do you do this in Performance Center 12.53?  I don't see similar functionality to create a merged pool of shared hosts.  Not easily finding it in the documentation.

5 REPLIES
Shlomi Nissim
Micro Focus Expert

Re: How do you setup Merged Pools of shared Hosts for projects in Perf Center 12.53

Hi Jim,

Merged pool functionality/concept was cancelled in PC 11.00.

in earlier versions (9.5x and lower) PC allowed assigning a host to a single pool and one pool per project. Since customers wanted to use the same host in more than one project "Merged Pool" concept was introduced.

Starting PC 11.00, you can assign each host to any pool you want. This capability eliminates the need in Merged pool, hence it was removed. We cancelled it after careful considerations and many discussions with key customers who approved this direction.

Let me know if the new model is lacking comparing to the old one

Regards,

Shlomi

Jim Hazen
Frequent Contributor.

Re: How do you setup Merged Pools of shared Hosts for projects in Perf Center 12.53

Shlomi,

Thanks for the information.  After futher discussion with the person requesting this type of setup it was found that they wanted to be able to have the Automatch capability to select load generators from the pool based on the same type of principle as Merged Pools from before.

They want to be able to select a pool of load generators (or multiple pools) based on certain criteria (Region/Location) so that the scenario when it runs picks available load generators to use.  I've done some reading in the manuals and found that the "Automatch Load Generator Properties" and "Assign Lod Generators to Multiple Groups" used during scenario definition might give me this flexibility if I add/create additional Host Attributes in Lab Management customization of the overall project for Project Lists > Host Properties.  I was thinking about adding attributes like "US-East", "US-West", "Europe", "SE-Asia", etc. so that as part of defining the Pool and Locations information in Lab Management I can fine tune it.  Then later on when setting up the Automatch Load Generator goups I can use that attribute to include them.

Does that make any sense to you?  Or if you have any ideas on how to MacGyver this process in a better way please let me know.  Thanks.

Jim Hazen

Shlomi Nissim
Micro Focus Expert

Hi Jim,

Each host is assigned to a location. You can add these locaitons in the Locations module. By the way, the relation between host to location hasn't changed since the first version of Performance Center.

Once you have assigned that and once you assigned to hosts to multiple pools the performance enginners can specity in the Automatch dialog the location they would like the host to have and Performance Center will allocate such. There is no need to use the additonal attributes feature in this particular case.

Let me know if you need further help. 

Best Regards,

Shlomi

Jim Hazen
Frequent Contributor.

Re: How do you setup Merged Pools of shared Hosts for projec

Shlomi,

Thanks for the additional information/insight on this.  I guess I was over-engineering the solution to this problem.  I'm working with the Performance Test engineer on this now to see if what's been suggested will satisfice them.

Shlomi Nissim
Micro Focus Expert

Re: How do you setup Merged Pools of shared Hosts for projec

Great. Let me know if you need further help.