Performance Center Practitioners Forum
cancel

When timeslots reserved is finished, the load test will stop or not

Claire1985
New Member.

When timeslots reserved is finished, the load test will stop or not

Hello,

I have a question about reservation in timeslots.

Here is the situation :

I reserved 10 hours in timeslots and I started a loadtest

the loadtest is set as Run indefinitely

my question is : at the end of 10 hours, if i don't add reservation in timeslots, does the loadtest will stop or continue ?

i know that pc will propose to me to add reservation at the end of about 9h45m, but the problem is that will be the midnight and i will be able to add reservation manually

thanks in advance !

Claire

1 REPLY
Highlighted
Craig_Drummond
Outstanding Contributor.

Re: When timeslots reserved is finished, the load test will stop or not

Claire,

The indefinite option when developing your load test is a hold over from LoadRunner that starting with PC 11.0 is somewhat thwarted because you must assign a timeslot.  That timeslot will stop your test 15 minutes before the time slot ends if you do not manually extend it.

In PC 9.5 a timeslot would try to extend itself and only a competing timeslot would block that extension.  In PC 11 no automatic extensions are given.

Since PC 11 will kill your test when there are 15 minutes left in the timeslot it is best to reserve a timeslot that more accurately represents how long you want the test to run.  If you want the test to run for 7 days straight, reserve a 7day timeslot.  You can reserve a timeslot for up to 480 hours or 20 days.  When you are prompted you can extend a timeslot but only if there are no competing timeslot that are blocking the extension.  You can extend a timeslot for 99,999 minutes or approximated 69 days.  Since theoretically you can extend a timeslot repeatedly you could essentially run indefinitely, just not without some manual intervention on your part

While running an extended load test is entirely possible and often needed, you must be sure that you are aware of all the factors that are involved. 

• Data collection could fill up the available disk space on the generators or controller.  If this happens the load test will end with little or not notice.  Other load generators in use would continue but the load from any stopped generators would not be redistributed.  
  • Collation of the results could take longer than the 15 minutes allocated and time out.  This would require that you manually collate from the ALM client.  
  • In-line analysis in not possible if the result set grows to over 2GB.  You would need to download the rawresults.zip and use the documented processes for manual analysis of the results using SQL instead of Access as the DB type.