Changes to the community structure and the menu bar
Significant changes have happened to the structure of our community and our drop down menu bar. READ ABOUT IT HERE
Performance Center User Discussions
cancel

Upgrade/Migration of Performance Center 12.20 to Performance Center 12.53 - Questions about process

Highlighted
Jim Hazen  Valued Contributor..
 Valued Contributor..

Upgrade/Migration of Performance Center 12.20 to Performance Center 12.53 - Questions about process

I'm working an upgrade/migration of Performance Center 12.20 to Performance Center 12.53 and need to get clarification on a couple of points of the information/process in the Admin Guide.

I am upgrading and migrating from one environment (Windows 2008 Server & Oracle 9 database) to a new one (Windows 2012 & Oracle 12c)

Looking at the information on page 200 of the Admin Guide it states "Prior to running ALM Robot, if you are using a new database server, you must back up the schema on the original database server and restore it manually to the target database server" and "Prior to running ALM Robot, make sure that the project schema exists on your target database". 

Do I really need to do this?  I have a new schema (and dummy project) on the Oracle 12c system that was created as part of the install of ALM on the new environment.  I am not upgrading in place, this is a totally new environment the project is being migrated to.  I plan to use ALM Robot to do the upgrade/migration.  Any additional insights/hints please let me know.

7 REPLIES
Micro Focus Expert Shlomi Nissim
Micro Focus Expert

Re: Upgrade/Migration of Performance Center 12.20 to Performance Center 12.53 - Questions about proc

Hi Jim,

Our subject matter expert for upgrade will advise soon. I am not familiar with ALM aspect so I'd better not confuse you.

I am curious why do you upgrade to 12.53 and not to 12.55? 12.55 is the latest full install on top of which you can deploy 12.56 using a patch installer.

BTW, 12.57 will be released soon. It is also a patch installation that can be deployed on top of 12.56

Regards,

Shlomi

Micro Focus Expert alsalomon
Micro Focus Expert

Re: Upgrade/Migration of Performance Center 12.20 to Performance Center 12.53 - Questions about proc

Hello Jim ,

You'll have to backup and restore (export / import for Oracle) the schemas on teh new DB server as the ALM Robot does not deal with DB schemas backup/restore or copy between servers.

As for addirional insights hints / insights , I can share the relevant ones once I'll hove more details of your current PC environment and your upgrade plan. (amount of projects , side by side etc..).

I suggest that you'll email me aliza.salomon@microfocus.com and we'll take it from there.

Adding my recommedations to Shlomi's suggestion:

Having already PC12.56 for several months and coming PC12.57 soon , I would recommend to consider upgrade from 12.20 to PC12.56 or 12.57.

for PC12.56 you'll have to:

1. Install ALM12.55 patch01 and upgrade your projects from 12.20 to 12.55 patch01
  2. Install PC12.55 (SERVER , Hosts and stand alones)
  3. Install PC2.56 (LR.12.56 for stand alones) on top of 12..55

for PC12.57 you'll have to:

1. Install ALM12.55 patch02 and upgrade your projects from 12.20 to 12.55 patch02
  2. Install PC12.55 (SERVER , Hosts and stand alones)
  3. Install PC2.57 (LR.12.57 for stand alones) on top of 12..55

Hope it helps

Aliza

Valued Contributor..

Shlomi,

It is company policy here to stay 1 release behind, due to stability concerns with the latest release of the tool.  Also, I started this whole affair last fall (2017) when PC 12.55 had been released and 12.53 was 1 behind. 

Valued Contributor..

Aliza,

As I stated to Shlomi, the company I work for has a policy to stay 1 release behind due to stability concerns.  For me to now go back and request another version upgrade would put the project into chaos. 

I'll contact you privately via email.

Regards,

Jim

Micro Focus Expert

Hi,

@Jim, while I understand your concerns, I think your approach is not solving it. 

Let's coordinate a meeting to fast forward your adoption of this version. 

@Aliza, please include me in your meeting with JIm.

Regards,

Shlomi

Valued Contributor..

Shlomi & Aliza,

I work for a major company (subsidiary of a bigger corporation) and this is company policy.  I've already spent about 7 months trying to get this upgrade done.  Had to deal with a lot of headaches within here, and with the transition to MicroFocus from HPE.  I do not have authorization at this time from my superiors to push up the version of software, and as I said it would throw this whole thing into chaos if I try.  I tried to go to 12.55 last fall and got shot down hard.  So no wiggle room there, sorry.

Any help from you to get this upgrade/migration done is appreciated. My next big step is getting the projects/data moved, after that it is some minor configuration items and I'm done.  If I didn't have to deal with the red tape and other B.S. I would have been done last January.

Micro Focus Expert

We will assist you.

Please follow-up with Aliza and I will sync with her

Regards,

Shlomi

Top Contributors Last 30 Days