Performance Engineering Best Practices and Methodology
cancel

Admin CPU usage for load generator exceeding 80%

pdash
Visitor.

Admin CPU usage for load generator exceeding 80%

Getting error  CPU usage for load generator exceeding 80%   and script on Truclient and  using 10 Vusers  only. And have admin access to the VM . 

Appriciate your help 

6 REPLIES
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: Admin CPU usage for load generator exceeding 80%

Hi @pdash,

As a general rule, to reduce CPU load, try pacing down the script. You can add wait steps, increase the time between iterations as spread Vuser ramp-up to start a smaller number of Vusers every time with longer intervals.

TruClient runs a browser instance for each Vuser, so overall footprint depends on the tested application's client-side footprint, on the browser used and on the machine's hardware.

See this help page for more information about troubleshooting load issues.

Edo

pdash
Visitor.

Hi Edo,

Thanks for the information , will try the way you said and will let you know how it works . 

Speedmaster Outstanding Contributor.
Outstanding Contributor.

How much RAM and CPU are on that box?

Trusted Contributor.. Randy Stevenson Trusted Contributor..
Trusted Contributor..

Speedmaster - I am getting the same "Generator CPU utilization exceeding 80%" message with only 20 LoadRunner 12.55 TruClient users (Windows 7 Enterprise 64-bit OS) on an OpenStack VM - c3.4xlarge flavor with 16 VCPUs and 32 GB RAM.

On a physical machine with 8 cores and 16 GB RAM I do NOT receive the 80% message even up to 100 Virtual Users.

It will take 5 VM's to replace one desktop computer.

Randy at Deere
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

If CPU is the bottleneck, it's advised to slow down the Vusers ramp-up and running speed.

For example, ramp up to 2 vusers every 30 seconds.

See these guidelines to manage the scalability.

Edo

Highlighted
Speedmaster Outstanding Contributor.
Outstanding Contributor.

Wow, that's a solid machine. 

Like you, I've also had trouble getting the same number of vusers on a VM than I did on physical hardware, even if the VM has nominally similar or better specs.