Maintenance is complete- We've moved from the saas.hpe.com domain to softwaregrp.com click to read more
As part of our journey to complete our separation work and our future integration with Micro Focus, we've now updated our domain for the community. This is an interim step, which will be followed by a series of future update / improvements: - Piloting Idea boards - Refreshing the entire UI. (more to come later) - and more
Project and Portfolio Management Practitioners Forum
cancel

DB_CONNECTION_STRING

MoteSantosh
Frequent Contributor.

DB_CONNECTION_STRING

Hi,

In sysadmin.pdf doc I have found that "DB_CONNECTION_STRING" server.conf parameter has to be set with service_name if the DB is Oracle RAC(Real Application Clusters) for example like this...

com.kintana.server.core.DB_CONNECTION_STRING=devitg

Question is now we are in Oracle RAC DB, I have set the JDBC_URL with the new TNS entry like

com.kintana.core.server.JDBC_URL=jdbc:oracle:thin:@(DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS_LIST=(A
DDRESS=(PROTOCOL=TCP)(HOST=ora-t3-rac1.am.health.ge.com)(PORT=1521))(ADDRESS=
(PROTOCOL=TCP)(HOST=ora-t3-rac3.am.health.ge.com)(PORT=1521))(LOAD_BALANCE=ye
s)(FAILOVER=true))(CONNECT_DATA=(SERVICE_NAME=devitg)))

as per the server.conf file now the DB is up and working fine, but I have not set the
DB_CONNECTION_STRING to devitg(service_name).

What is the impact It is going to have if I wont set the DB_CONNECTION_STRING=devitg.

Note : DB_CONNECTION_STRING is required only if the Database is RAC(Real Application Clusters).

Thanks
Kumar
1 REPLY
Torsten Neumann
Trusted Contributor.

Re: DB_CONNECTION_STRING

Hi Kumar,

you need to set DB_CONNECTION_STRING only if the connection name in tnsnames.ora differs from your service name (or SID/INSTANCE_NAME if not RAC).

The JDBC URL is used for database connections from inside the application server.

The DB_CONNECTION_STRING is used to connect to the DB in scripts using SQLPLUS (therefore the string defined here needs to be present in the tnsnames.ora).

The Sys Admin Guide just tries to focus on SERVICE_NAME in contrast to INSTANCE_NAME - which obviously wouldn't be a good choice in a RAC environment.

I hope it's a little bit clearer now...

Cheers,
Torsten
Kintana strikes back... ;-)