NOTICE: Branded Content
NOTICE: Certain versions of content (“Material”) accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.
Project and Portfolio Management User Discussions
cancel

PPM 9.3 License Installation Issue

SOLVED
Go to solution
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor.. debasish86 Trusted Contributor..
Trusted Contributor..

PPM 9.3 License Installation Issue

Hello Guru,

Got into this trouble and would like to seek advice.

I have PPM 9.3 copied via cloning process on a VM on Windows Server 2012 R2. Now I received the license file and upon tring to run the kLicenseInstall.sh, it keeps saying 0 licenses installed.

I checked with licensing team and they have sent me multiple files now but all in vain.

HP Support contacted and mentioned that my VM has 2 IPv4 addresses - one for the server and other for backup IP. And as a result, the license file while installing is not able to identify the IP address and as a result, failing to install the licenses.

I even changed the host file under Windows directoty, restarted the whole server and tried again but no luck.

Now has anyone come across this issue or anything related to this. Any sort of pointers would be highly appreciated.

Please note that this is a freshly cloned instance similar to that of existing Production which has been running absolutely fine.

Awating for any sort of prompt response

Debasish

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Aurobinda Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.
Solution

Re: PPM 9.3 License Installation Issue

Hi Debasish,

Even we have multiple IPs in server and its working fine. Please try setting the ip used for PPM as primary IP.
Then or now also, try sh kConfig.sh
Edit all parameters and make sure all are correct according to current environment. Then sh kUpdateHtnl.sh . Just to make sure all are updated as well.

This we are doing to avoid any parameter or path missmatch from DB side.
Then try to install license through kLicenseInstall.sh. If successful, try to start ppm services.

If not, try to install license and start again post, IP changes.
14 REPLIES
Super Contributor.

Hi,

Please follow the below steps.

1. Stop PPM Services, Delete tmp and work folder, Open server.conf

2. Add below parameter. (If multiple server and nodes are present, accordingly must be added under each node)

com.kintana.core.server.MULTICAST_NIC_IP=101.10.201.100

Note Here IP Address is: For the IP you have configured PPM

3. run kUpdateHtml.sh

4. Try to install license again

5. Try to start PPM.

Trusted Contributor..

Hello Aurobinda,

Thank you for the response and I tried exactly like you said.

I add the following parameter and copied the same into the second node, deleted work and tmp from both nodes, did run the kUpdateHTML and tried installing the license file again but unfortunately it failed. I even restarted the whole server and tried again but that didnt work.

Hope for a response soon.

Regards

Debasish

Super Contributor.

Hi Debasish,

Please try below:

1. you may use kLicensesReader.sh to read the file and confirm with license team if you have a valid license.

2. Is it possible for you to share server.conf and server log file here.

3. Also try to start the first node like sh ./kStart.sh <node name> and post here the result, if sanity failed.

4.mention last 2/3digit of both ip address

We are trying to identify, where exactly its stopping .

Trusted Contributor..

Hello Aurobinda,

For the kLicenseReader, i have attached a document which shows the output. Have also attached my server.conf.

Since am not able to start and this instance is a clone of existing production, the server.log doesnt register anything in it.

Upon starting the server, the sanity is passed but it fails while checking the license.

Also mentioend the last digits of IP address.

Awaiting for your kind response.

Thank You!

Super Contributor.

Hi Debasish,

When you try to get the License details through kLicenseReader.sh, it must return License String.

You may run select queries to get the existing license strings from this table.
SELECT * FROM KNTA_LICENSE_DATASOURCE;

Referring to Licensreader screenshot output, it seems there might be some issue with files or the environment variables you may need to revisit (but its not releated to license issue).

Please check, sh kStatus.sh is running as expected.

There are mostly two scenarios left (as you have already added NIC IP),
1. Please check the license you are installing should have more count than, the number users granted license in production (in the cloned DB instance). If licnese adjustment required, you may need to backup this table "knta_user_products" and delete the rows for all users (user_id>100000, to avoid deletion of seed user accounts and also you may put filter to keep your and your team mates licenses). Post deletion again try to start applicaiton from Cygwin/bash.

2. Invalid license is installed / license is not present. In this case you need to avail new license and install it. Then check, if you have sufficient liceses available or else delete necessary rows from 'knta_user_products" following 1st step and then try to start again from cygwin/bash.

Also, please share the log from Cygwin/bash window in case of any issue.

Trusted Contributor..

Hello Aurobinda,

Running the query "SELECT * FROM KNTA_LICENSE_DATASOURCE;" returned the license key from Production instance. 

kStatus doesnt report of any error and is running fine.

As highlighted, i delted records from knta_user_products except for the admin and ppm_service user. Then tried running the kLicenseInstall with the file location but it failed and LicenseReader gave the same result.

If i open the .dat file in notepad, i can see the keys available. Can I update the KNTA_LICENSE_DATASOURCE table with the provided keys, shutdown and start Oracle and try running the LicenseReader as seems like mostly all possible ways have faield.

Now am only dependant on disabling the IP and trying

Awating for response

Debasish

MIF Trusted Contributor.
Trusted Contributor.

Hi Debasish,

It seems that PPM checks and see "wrong" server IP in case multiple IPs.
So I suggest you to work with Windows system admin set the primary IP address as the license requires.
If you want to do it yourself you can remove all IPs and then add one by one and by setting skipassresource for the secondary IP. 

Eg:

netsh int ipv4 add address "WAN" 1.1.1.1 255.255.255.0
netsh int ipv4 add address "WAN" 1.1.1.2 255.255.255.0 skipassource=true

Murat Akbar
MIF Software & Consultancy - Istanbul
http://www.mif.com.tr
Super Contributor.

Hi,
You may check for setting ip once again, like akbar mentioned. But to avoid this scenario only we have set NIC ip parameter in server.conf.
Can you please try to start the instance through cygwin/bash and share us the log/ screenshot.
Please do not try to install license now (not necessary as there is existing string in DB).
Trusted Contributor..

Hello Aurobinda,

As requested, have attached the serverlog when I tried to run the kStart.sh. Seems its still stuck to the license of Production

Debasish

Super Contributor.

Hi Debasish,

In this scenario, we need to reinstall license. You had some issue while reinstalling through kLicensesInstall.sh. So, for now please give a try like below:

1. stop ppm services and make sure no java process is running.

2. If any java process is running, please kill those and delete tmp and work folder.

3. Backup KNTA_LICENSE_DATASOURCE table.

4. Insert license string to this table.

5. Start instance through kStart.sh

Note: this is the last trial method on this, if still some issues are there would suggest to check with MF parallely through a case for faster resolution.

Trusted Contributor..

Hello Aurobinda,

Would like to check on this "Insert license string to this table.". Do you mean update the database with the strings provided by HP directly to the database table.

Please advise.

Thank You!

Debasish

Super Contributor.

Hi Debasish,
Yes please, take the string from .dat file and try to insert to the mentioned table after taking backup. After new lines are inserted (let us not make any changes to existing lines), start through sh kStart.sh
If this solves our issue, good. Later you can check why there is a problem with klicenseinstall.sh file
Although it's not the recommended, but we have this last choice to give a try.
Trusted Contributor..

Hello Aurobinda,

As suggested, I tried the same by updating the table, restarted the whole server, killed all java process, deleted tmp and wrk folder and then tried restarting the server but seems like its still stuck with the license production license file found under conf folder.

Now I guess, as suggested by Microfocus (MF), need to disable 1 of the IPv4 address and then try installing the same coz as per them, they tried installing the same file on their test server and it installed without any issue. So I guess multiple IP's might be the issue even though we set the NIC parameter in the server.conf :(

Debasish

Super Contributor.
Solution

Hi Debasish,

Even we have multiple IPs in server and its working fine. Please try setting the ip used for PPM as primary IP.
Then or now also, try sh kConfig.sh
Edit all parameters and make sure all are correct according to current environment. Then sh kUpdateHtnl.sh . Just to make sure all are updated as well.

This we are doing to avoid any parameter or path missmatch from DB side.
Then try to install license through kLicenseInstall.sh. If successful, try to start ppm services.

If not, try to install license and start again post, IP changes.