HPE Software is now Micro Focus
HPE Software is now Micro Focus
Protect Your Assets
cancel

Did you know that ESM does Connector & Device Monitoring?

Re: Did you know that ESM does Connector & Device Monitoring?

asilahazwani

Hi,

I configured correctly and its display on Critical Monitored Device. But it doesnt work for windows log (WUC). Do you know why?

0 Kudos
About the Author

asilahazwani

Comments
Respected Contributor.

Dear ​ ,

Thank you for the comprehensive write up!

By turning on Enable Device Status Monitoring, will it be resource hogging?

Regards,

Julian

Acclaimed Contributor.

Yes, there is an overhead. The standard content will use a bunch of rules to populate the active lists and data monitors for the dashboards. While this is fine in a relatively small number of devices environment, it can be quite excessive if you have a large number of devices being fed into ESM.

For example, if you set device status monitoring for say 5 minutes (a good level of inactivity for most devices) then you are going to generate something like 200-300 messages for the status events per device per day. If you have say 30,000 devices then thats nearly 1 million events just in status monitoring! And remember there are a bunch of rule triggers on this too!

In the worst cases that I have seen, heavy device monitoring can cause around a 10% hit on ESM, which is high, but given poor tuning and active rules, it can happen. It is this that has driven the focus around putting this functionality (and more) into ArcMC. The fact that ArcMC uses a different engine for this is probably the best illustration of the reasoning behind this - I know of a couple of customers who have been using ArcMC 2.5 and 2.6 for monitoring 30,000+ devices with ease! Though I would counter that one that 2.5 does have a few performance issues at high device counts, but its fixed in 2.6 which is due in a couple of weeks.

I know it might sound like I am pushing ArcMC here (and I am) but from a scalability, functionality and coverage point of view, ArcMC is the way forward.

See here for some information on what ArcMC provides for connector and device monitoring:

Frequent Contributor.

Hi,

I configured correctly and its display on Critical Monitored Device. But it doesnt work for windows log (WUC). Do you know why?