NOTICE: Branded Content
NOTICE: Certain versions of content (“Material”) accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.
Protect Your Assets
cancel

How Visiting a New City or Going to a Focused Security Event Helps Your Career

How Visiting a New City or Going to a Focused Security Event Helps Your Career

Respected Contributor... Erdem_Menges Respected Contributor...

If you’re anything like me, chances are you do enjoy travelling and you love to submerge into different local cultures and experiences everywhere you go. Throughout the years I’ve found that travelling has been my best guide to learn more about myself by learning about others and new places.

How Visiting a New City or Going to a Focused Security Event Helps Your Career.jpgWhenever I go to a new city or town, I imagine how it would feel like to be a part of that community or live in that culture and geography. Even if I’m there for a single day, I put in extra effort to take some time to wander the streets, get lost and find my way back. Discovering different parts of a city that I already know is almost as exciting as being in an entirely new town because every locale has its micro character and its own way of life. There is something compelling and exciting about diving nose first into the unknown, getting a different perspective and embracing the new.

In similar fashion, going to focused industry events/gatherings has been very eye opening for me to see where the industry is headed and how I can improve myself. While there’s value in bigger security events (such as RSA or Black Hat) for networking, I believe going to focused events (focused on specific themes, verticals or a vendor’s vision) always provides a lot more insight. These events tend to provide more depth and more valuable information. It’s at these focused events where you get a chance to have one on one, meaningful conversations with cyber security leaders who inspire you and these valuable interactions often lead you to next steps in your career. Personally, I’ve made many decisions after visiting a new city or going to a focused industry event. The common theme with these experiences is that they give all of us an opportunity to get out of the daily hustle, reset/refresh and look at ourselves and our careers with a broader perspective. Increasing our self-awareness and industry awareness are two key take-aways from any well planned trip/event.

These days I’m really excited for the upcoming Micro Focus Cyber Security Summit in Washington, DC in September. And while being back in DC is something to look forward to individually, I’m also thrilled to welcome our customers to our take on security for three days at a professional level. During the event, we’ll cover interesting cyber security topics such as adaptive incident response, breach defense and securing devops. We have an exciting line-up of speakers including Chris Tarbell (Former FBI Cybersecurity Special Agent and Director), John Delk (Micro Focus Chief Product and Marketing Officer) and Troy Bowen (Application Security Manager at Verizon) to name a few. We’re also looking to host many customers who will share their experiences along with Micro Focus product managers sharing product visions and roadmap.

I especially look forward to seeing Chris Tarbell (who is responsible for infiltrating the hacker group Anonymous and taking down the notorious dark web drug trafficking site Silk Road, he was also dubbed “the Eliot Ness of online crime” by Newsweek) on stage and hear our customers talk about building appsec practices in fast-moving environments. There are four tracks (Risk, Privacy, and Compliance; Enabling your business through digital transformation; Addressing Threats, Attacks, and Breaches; DevSecOps) to choose from on Wednesday (09/26) and more than thirty sessions to choose from on the event agenda. We’re also going to have hands-on sessions during which you can experience Micro Focus Security’s offerings first hand on Thursday (09/27) afternoon.  

Micro Focus Cyber Security Summit is a great opportunity to get familiar with the industry’s broadest set of integrated security, risk and governance solutions, meet the heroes who create these technologies and fellow cyber security professionals. As far as I’m concerned, the sessions and the interactions during this event will be the key to your career development.

The Micro Focus Cybersecurity Summit 2018 will take place on September 25-27, at the Omni Shoreham in Washington, D.C. The attendance is completely free and I encourage you to register as soon as you can since spots are limited. We look forward to meeting you at the event in September!

Stay up to date on the Summit by following Micro Focus Security on Twitter and using the hashtag #MicroFocusCyberSummit.

About the Author

Erdem_Menges

Application Security, Penetration Testing, Security