Quality Center / ALM Practitioners Forum
cancel

How to update the Type Field to have "Manual" for All Test Cases' Test Steps for a Project

Highlighted
Sohel Respected Contributor..
Respected Contributor..

How to update the Type Field to have "Manual" for All Test Cases' Test Steps for a Project

HPQC ALM 12.53 - For a project we'd uploaded many test cases using Excel Add In but for some of these test cases the "Type" field did not have any value. Since the "Type" field is a Required field, when any steps are failed for these test cases we cannot raise the defect from the failed step, a Null Reference error is generating with the following error message: "Object reference not set to an instance of an object". 

I have tested this more and found out that whenver the Type field is empty from the spreadsheet the test cases were uploaded, this error is preventing users from raising a defect from the step level. 

One solution we thought was to reupload all these spreadsheets after filling in the Type field with "Manual" but it would overwrrite subsequent works done on these test cases by testers.

Is it possible using HP ALM OTA to update all test cases for a project that will fill the Type field of each test step with "Manual" value? If so, hoping to get a pointer on how to do it.

2 REPLIES
Micro Focus Expert PhilTrostel
Micro Focus Expert

Re: How to update the Type Field to have "Manual" for All Test Cases' Test Steps for a Pro

You might try using a script like this...

Set tFact = TDConnection.TestFactory
Set tList = tFact.NewList("")
For Each tItem in tList
	tItem.Field("TS_TYPE") = "MANUAL"
Next
tList.Post

I tried this in the lab and it appears to work just fine.

Phil Trostel
Sohel Respected Contributor..
Respected Contributor..

Re: How to update the Type Field to have "Manual" for All Test Cases' Test Steps for a Pro

Sorry for the late response Phil. Just checking this message. I will comment back after trying the solution you've mentioned. 

I appreciate your help.

Thank you.

Sohel

Top Contributors Last 30 Days