NOTICE: Branded Content
NOTICE: Certain versions of content (“Material”) accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.
Quality Center / ALM User Discussions
cancel

ALM API connection - Excel(32bits) closes/crashes without any error message

AlexandreBueno Valued Contributor.
Valued Contributor.

ALM API connection - Excel(32bits) closes/crashes without any error message

Hello!

Im trying to connect using the TDApiOle80.

I used to have the 64bits version of office, then I remembered that there is an issue with this and changed to 32bits version, now.. I have another issue.. when the line "Set QCConnection = CreateObject("TDApiOle80.TDConnection")" is executed, Excel simply closes without any kind of error message and the process still hang, I need to terminate the process and then open the file again.

Any idea of how do I solve this?

Dim sUserName
Dim sPassword
Dim QCConnection
Set QCConnection = CreateObject("TDApiOle80.TDConnection")
MsgBox Err.Description
'Also doesnt work:
'Set QCConnection = CreateObject("TDAPIOLELib.TDConnection")
QCConnection.InitConnectionEx "https://blablablabla.com/qcbin"
QCConnection.Login "User", Cells(1, 1).Value

Thank you!

4 REPLIES
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: ALM API connection - Excel(32bits) closes/crashes without any error message

Hi,

Did you install the ALM Connectivity or ALM Client Registration for your specific ALM server? You can find it on your ALM server at: https://[yourserver]/qcbin/addins.html

Actually there is a workaround for Office 64 Bit and OTA - you can find it here: Workaround: OTA & 64 Bit Applications (Excel, Word etc.)

Regards,

Dirk

Valued Contributor.

Hi Dirk,

I saw that post but now since I have the 32b version it wont apply.

About the Addins, yes both done, the wioerd thing is that I canno even see an error message.. Excel simply closes...
Will check with the IT support to request them to rollback the 64b version and see if the workaround will work.

Thanks for you reply!

Valued Contributor.

I solved the problem with this workaround:
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/38701522/excel-macro-activex-component-cant-create-object-tdapiole80-tdconnection

Just need to have a .vbs file, it is not ideal but at least it works

Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi,

Your installation of Excel might be a bit broken. If you want to remove the vbs and start the connection directly in Excel VBA you could nevertheless try the workaround. Perhaps your PC has both 32 and 64 Excel libraries due to the previous 64 Bit installation.

Cheers,

Dirk