As a greater number of organizations transform themselves for the digital economy, application development is becoming more important as a business driver. Security, once treated as an afterthought in the software development life cycle (if included at all), is now “shifting left” to occur earlier to help mitigate issues before software is released or deployed. DevOps is a major driver in that shift.
Application security, therefore, is increasing in importance to help ensure errors in code and other factors don’t negatively impact the security of an organization’s network. Compliance, speed to market and coverage for multiple platform types are some of the elements addressed by application security. Yet some organizations aren’t deriving true value from their current application security solution.
A survey of 538 technology influencers and decision-makers by BizTechInsights on behalf of Micro Focus reveals the most common factors that impact organizations’ implementation and use of application security solutions, what they consider to be the most pressing issues regarding their application security solution, and more.
Here are a few nuggets from the survey that caught my eye:
- Most survey respondents—almost three-quarters—say they’ve noticed an increase in security threats over the last 12 months.
- Security spending is spurred by a breach, audit, or compliance (69%). For all the headlines, few cite the bad news of their peers as a driver.
- The top challenge of AppSec is ensuring business-critical applications are delivered without vulnerabilities, so it makes sense that 51% say their top goal is to improve speed or prioritize issues.
- “Shift left” is taking hold, as 75% test before production (code change, every stage of dev cycle, or pre-production gate), while 25% wait until after production.
- 35% test less than half of their apps!
Take a few minutes and read the full report, The State of Application Security in the Enterprise.
Fortify is Micro Focus’ suite of application security products, and has been known for its innovation and depth of coverage for more than a decade. Earlier in 2018, Gartner once again positioned Fortify as a leader in its "Magic Quadrant for Application Security Testing," citing both Fortify’s Completeness of Vision and Ability to Execute.
You must be a registered user to add a comment. If you've already registered, sign in. Otherwise, register and sign in.