Maintenance is complete- We've moved from the saas.hpe.com domain to softwaregrp.com click to read more
As part of our journey to complete our separation work and our future integration with Micro Focus, we've now updated our domain for the community. This is an interim step, which will be followed by a series of future update / improvements: - Piloting Idea boards - Refreshing the entire UI. (more to come later) - and more
Service Desk Practitioners Forum
cancel

Create a report to show 10 ten customer

SOLVED
Go to solution
Eric P_2
Outstanding Contributor.

Create a report to show 10 ten customer

Hi All,

Currently I'm using Sd 4.5 sp 15.

I would like to create view showing top 10 company with most calls?

I prefer to have chart views?

Have anyone ever do this? please advice.

Thanks,
Eric
10 REPLIES
George M. Meneg
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: Create a report to show 10 ten customer

Hello Eric,

I could be wrong (as we don't use much the built-in reporting views) but I don't think that these kind of reports can be done using the client. You need a third party tool for these kind of reports.

For that kind of reports (that are fairly simple but cannot be done from the client) the simple way is to export a view to excel (or excel like program) and do the graphs there.

If you want more advance features like scheduled reports, reports about history lines, etc you really need a tool like Crystal Reports.
menes fhtagn
Mark O'Loughlin
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi Eric,

you could run a simple sql statement to count the number of calls registered per company and use these results to polt a graph
Eric P_2
Outstanding Contributor.

Hi All,

Thanks for replying.

@george:
I'm not really pro in configuring views. but I found that really hard to generate such information. I think you are right..

@Mark:
Do you mean it's possible to run sql statement from the client? could you teach me how to run sql statement from client if possible? Just a simple one.

Thanks,
Eric

Mark O'Loughlin
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi Eric,

you have to run it against the database. You can't use the client to generate the sql. Do you have any DBA's to run the query?

You could export all the calls using the client and then use a count statement to generate the count but if you have a large number of calls the export could hang or slow the system down.
Ruth Porter
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi eric,

Have you tried a chart view? Set one up with X axis on "Organization Name" and a filter of the the time period you want.

This will give a you a bar chart and if you point labels you should be able to see what you need.

Regards, Ruth
http://www.teamultra.net
Eric P_2
Outstanding Contributor.

@Mark,
So I have to use excel - database to do count right? I was tought that I can get data from client from database using sql queries.

@Ruth,
Yes, I can do that. but the problem is I cannot generate only top 10 company with highest call... and another thing it generate so many company names since there are so many company names calls in every month.

Thanks,
Eric
Mark O'Loughlin
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi Eric,

if you cant access the DB with say SQL plus to run a statement ypu may have to look at doing the excel export. You can't directly alter the sql statements with the client. The sql will be created by say the advanced search criteria behind the scenes.

You can create a view that is grouped by the customer name and is all collasped. You should see the numbers of the calls for each customer and you can manually put these into a spreadsheet as the totals. Its a manual way of doing it but is another alternative.
George M. Meneg
Acclaimed Contributor.
Solution

Hello Eric,

try something like this in the query analyzer:

select top 10 org.org_name1, count (org.org_name1) as 'count'
from itsm_servicecalls ser inner join itsm_organizations org on ser.ser_caller_org=org.org_oid
group by org.org_name1
order by 2 desc

However the simpler solution is to create a view in ovsd (not a chart view, an ordinary view) that will have (at least) as fields service call id and caller;organization;name1

Export this view to excel and there create a graph.

My preferred method for quick reports is to construct a view on OVSD with the necessary fields, export to excel and use pivot table/views to create reports.
menes fhtagn
Eric P_2
Outstanding Contributor.

@Mark,
Thanks, I understand now.

@George,
Yes! this is what I wanted!
Thanks for the sql query. I will put it on 3rd party tools.

Thanks,
Eric
Stuiver
Trusted Contributor.

Hi Eric,

Yes we did. You could consider Westbury based on BO with some out of the box reports. Prevends you of running into sql statement discussions and time consuming tailor made report building.

Cheers,

Martijn