Maintenance is complete- We've moved from the saas.hpe.com domain to softwaregrp.com click to read more
As part of our journey to complete our separation work and our future integration with Micro Focus, we've now updated our domain for the community. This is an interim step, which will be followed by a series of future update / improvements: - Piloting Idea boards - Refreshing the entire UI. (more to come later) - and more
Service Desk Practitioners Forum
cancel

FTP protocol used in OVSD - hints for making this secure

Vladimir Kufner
Super Contributor.

FTP protocol used in OVSD - hints for making this secure

Hi all,
wondering whether some of you have met with custoemr requirements concerning security in attachments - usage of FTP with sending a password in open form over the net.
Any comments and hints are welcome.
7 REPLIES
Radovan Skolnik
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: FTP protocol used in OVSD - hints for making this secure

This was discussed few days ago with no clear result except for some FTP->SFTP gateway proposal (wonder if that would make it more secure - not really in my opinion).

There was one interesting proposal - change the libftp.jar so that it supports secure transfers. This is what could be a solution (altough unsupported by HP). If there was serious interest we could create such thing. Contact me to discuss details (radovan_skolnik@tempest.sk)...
Andrew Dale
Honored Contributor.

What about wrapping the whole thing up in Citrix?
Vladimir Kufner
Super Contributor.

Well guys, after a careful considerations we decided to accept potential FTP threat, to mitigate this by minimizing access rights.
Both suggested Citrix or SSH solution seems to be not acceptable (Open SSH furthermore does not support FTP properly, need to go for solution paid by peer).
thanks
Vladimir
Radovan Skolnik
Acclaimed Contributor.

Vladimir, one option is SFTP which is based on SSH. the other option is FTPS which is FTP with SSL...
Vladimir Kufner
Super Contributor.

Did you test it?
Do you have a practical experience how to set up this?
Highlighted
Radovan Skolnik
Acclaimed Contributor.

No, I did not test it or set it up. We have not yed this requirement from our customers. However what I had in mind is that we would be able to create such thing...
Radovan Skolnik
Acclaimed Contributor.