cancel

Searching for bottleneck in SD4.5 SP20

SOLVED
Go to solution
Horst Niederhoe
Absent Member.

Searching for bottleneck in SD4.5 SP20

Hi there !

Now the collegues from the network team are my enemies !

I am searching for the bottleneck in SD4.5 with SP20.
If I choose a view (e.g. all open servicecalls)
it takes about 5 minutes that all (800) calls are being displayed.

The CPU performance on the Windows SD servicer is at about 5% and on the AIX running oracle at about 0.2%.

Any Ideas where I can continue with the search and make network team to my friend again ;-)) ?

Thanks for replies
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Jay Mistry
Absent Member.
Solution

Re: Searching for bottleneck in SD4.5 SP20

Hi,

Try restricting the number of calls that are returned, see if this improves performance.

6 REPLIES
Jay Mistry
Absent Member.
Solution

Hi,

Try restricting the number of calls that are returned, see if this improves performance.

Mike Bush
Absent Member.

5 minutes for 800 calls is appalling, I'd hope for sub-5 seconds and not consider this a large number, if I set a retrieval limit it would be 1000 or maybe 4000.

Are you saying the network guys are complaining to YOU or that you are complaining to them?

Is it possible that the view you have is doing fancy "row colouring" or has the "to deadline" column on display, these are known to be slow.

It might be worth trimming a view right back to ID only and timing that.
Mark O'Loughlin
Absent Member.

Also run this command and see what the results are like.

C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\OpenView\service desk 4.5\client\bin\sd_client.bat /benchmark
George M. Meneg
Absent Member.

Hello,

5 minutes for 800 calls is too much. We have views with thousands of entries that take no more than few seconds.

However we took some precautions. For example there is NO calculated field in the views (like to Deadline). Also we try to keep fields of linked entities to service calls to minimum on this views. The less joins and calculations the quicker the views.
menes fhtagn
Raman Shcharbak
Absent Member.

The bottleneck can be in memory\disk subsystem. If there is not enough memory, the hard faults often take place. (memory pages are read from swap to memory and vice versa). Watch your HDD led. Use perfmon.msc to watch "average disk queue lehgth" counter (it must not be more then 2). How much time does it takes to execute "select * from itsm_servicecalls" running this query while you are connected to oracle from servicedesk server, and compare the time while running this query locally on oracle server. You can also start any network packet analyzer and watch sql traffic - remeber the time, when the packet with you query entered network media, and when reply was returned. IF there is some file transfer service on your aix (samba, ftp) try to benchmark network speed while copying files to\from oracle server. Check for duplex\speed settings of your SD server NIC, SWITCH, look for any errors\collisions on a switch. Turn off antivirus on SD server (only for test time) if there is any..
Highlighted
Horst Niederhoe
Absent Member.

Thanks to all !

I changed the view fancy "row colouring" and calculated fields like "to deadline".

Now it takes only a few seconds.