Service Manager Documentation Forum
cancel

Links in HPSM

GN2
Absent Member.

Links in HPSM

Hi Experts,

PLease let me know the links for documentation. Also kindly let me know where is the document for links

I am finding it really hard to understand Links, including simple, complex ,special and vj links

Regards,

-N

2 REPLIES
Wodisch_1 Outstanding Contributor.
Outstanding Contributor.

Re: Links in HPSM

Hi,

you might find it easiest to re-read the KM-article KM01294561 everytime you want to see that, to get the newest version:

https://softwaresupport.hpe.com/km/KM01294561

Title :
Service Manager 9.3x and 9.4x Document Matrix
Document ID :
KM01294561
Product - Version:
service manager 9.30 9.31 9.32 9.33 9.34 9.40 9.41 ;

Updated :
2016-Mar-24
Summary :
This document provides download links to important documents of the Service Manager (SM) 9.3x and 9.4x releases (including manuals, whitepapers, and knowledge articles) on HP Software Support Online (SSO). It also provides links to important content pack documents and What's New and feature demo videos on HP Live Network, as well as a link to the Service Manager Documentation Forum.

HTH,
Wodisch

John Stagaman
Absent Member.

Re: Links in HPSM

To my knowledge, there really isn't great documentation on links outside the tailoring class. You can check the online help. There are, however, several posts in the forums with useful information.

For example: http://community.hpe.com/t5/Service-Manager-Service-Center/Link-is-not-working-target-field-is-not-getting-copied/m-p/6691619/highlight/true#M124583

Quickly:

Simple Links - essentially, these are links with no fields mapped on the link detail page--I generally recommend that you never use simple links. Why?

• Because a fill executed using a simple link will copy ALL fields with the same names from the linked record. So if you fill the primary contact in an interaction using a simple link, and the contact record includes fields for dept, location, phone, email, etc. that match the field names in incident table, then all of those fields are copied back.
  • If you fill another field (let's use Affected Item)--if it also is configured as a simple link, all matching fields will be copied back. So let's say it also has fields for dept, location, etc. which means those fields are copied too. 
  • So at the end, what data is in the interaction fields for email, dept, location, etc.? You don't know, because it varies based on what field was filled last. 

Complex Links (described in the linked topic above) prevent this issue. If you define a field mapping in the link line details, only the mapped fields will be copied. This also allows you to map a source record field to a target field with a different name, so that you can map the location field in contacts to contact.location and the location field in device to a asset.location field and know where everything ends up. 

I don't recall anything about "special links".

----------------------------------------------------
Kudos - what, where, how, and why
Want Good Answers? Ask Good Questions...